Existing Member?

Curiosity is a dangerous flavor of Adventure

Between rocks in a deep place

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [267] | Scholarship Entry

As the first drops of rain fell, I looked up at the protruding ledge. The same ledge that paved the way out and effortlessly poured half the Pilbara’s rainfall over my head. As I analysed my situation I couldn't help but think “how did I end up here”? Furthermore, “how did I manage to drag this poor Englishmen with me”? Here we were, standing in the depths of the magnificent gorges of Karijini National park, Western Australia, waiting for this ride to be over. Unfortunately this is no game park. Out here the consequences of your actions can be very unforgiving and loneliness can mean a cold reality. I was responsible for putting us in this situation, always wanting to venture further and explore onward with no regard for the journey back. Chris was on holiday from England and we had met in the nearby town of Tom Price. As we stood at the Ledge of the second waterfall of Knox Gorge, we realised why it was known locally as the ‘leap of faith’. What we had failed to realise was that the first waterfall, an exhilirating cliff hang, was known as the ‘point of no return’. True to its name, without any ropes, the only way out was to jump. I looked over the 9 metre drop to the water below. Without the aid of sunlight, the pool was a darkness that gave away no secrets to what lay beneath. To land on a submerged tree or large boulder from this height could prove fatal. Going against all my instincts, I Jumped towards the black water. The relief when you feel nothing but the forgiving depths of water is indescribable. Once we completed the jump, we were greeted by a grueling 2km swim through the depths of the Pilbara gorge system. As the sun set, blocked by the gigantic red dolomite walls, we started to become desperate. The clear line of the light and contrasting shadow grew further up the walls. When we arrived at the bottom of Handcock gorge I knew at once where we were. A few years ago an SES volunteer died here during a rescue mission. The run off from a flash flood upstream had squeezed through the narrow passages of the gorge with the might of a tsunami. I knew this spot for all the wrong reasons. The only way out was to climb under the waterfall, up the slippery rocks, to the dry passage above. In the dark of night that wasn't an option. We were trapped for the night, on a cold slab of rock, in nothing but shorts and runners. I lay there pushing the threat of each tantalising drop of rain out of my mind, asking myself the question “how did I end up here?”

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About travell-iv-ing


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.