Existing Member?

A Costa Rican Rendezvous

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [118] | Scholarship Entry

Though many travelers that venture to foreign lands and claim they have experienced what life is like in various countries, actually know very little about the culture and people until being submersed in the places less traveled. For example, staying in a Marriott and having a traditional American cuisine fortified with say, an exotic fruit, is far from the native dishes prepared. Until one can meet the locals and dine with them, or visit various restaurants where they congregate, can call it authentic. Having traveled throughout Costa Rica in December 2011 for a little less than a month, has graced me with the knowledge of what the residents there dine on. Although the traditional meal accompaniment, gallo pinto, is a far cry from luxurious, it has been and still is to this day enjoyed by the entire country. It was in almost every meal I had there, so I became acquainted with the Afro-Latino based cuisine throughout my stay. Little outside influence took a toll on the native food, which was refreshing and yet fascinating since many countries tend to cater to tourists during this day and age. However, the growing supply and demand of cattle to feed the natives as well as other countries has led to rainforest destruction in many regions of the country. They have a very simple diet of fresh fruits, tubers, vegetables and meats grown and supplied within the country itself. While maintaining traditions and adhering to customs passed down from generations past, the Ticos/Ticas of the land are very close-knit to their family, friends and community. While I was riding a city bus to meet up with my traveling companions, something unexpected occurred whilst on the journey there. The bus driver stopped along the road to give food to some people whose car broke down and another time to a police officer pulled off the side of the road. If food doesn’t enlist unity in that culture, I would like to know what does.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About travelinglady86


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.