Existing Member?

This is my new journey. What about you?

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 17 April 2012 | Views [438] | Scholarship Entry

First of all, the reason why I wrote this blog is because I want to change the people’s point of view which only identifies France just for Paris. Whereas in my opinion, there are many other attractive cities than Paris in France. And one of the famous city is Caen which located in Normandy's region.

Normandy is a region in France that has a lot of history, especially about what was happened during World War 2. France then had to fight it out against Nazi Germany who wanted to colonize this region which is famous for its cheese.

At the time of war, Caen was destroyed and then do the reconstruction in just over 60 years. The people then work together to build their city again. This is what makes people in Caen tend to have high humanitarian spirit.

Normandy architecture building is still number one. We called this typical houses of Normandy with the name Half-Timbered Houses. This building has exposed wood framing. The spaces between the wooden timbers are filled with plaster, brick, or stone.

All about Caen’s history and Normandy immortalized in museums. I was amazed when I know that all the museums in Normandy are well organized. Government willing to spend that much money to preserve it.

For example, when I visited the Memorial de Caen, I actually carry over into the war in 1944. I was able to watch a documentary film and see some historic documents. The tourists won't only learn history, but they also can feel how the war was going on. So, I don't feel loss if I have to pay 15 euros to get into this museum. It’s worthed.

I noticed, almost in every city I had visited in Normandy, like Bayeux, Rouen, Deauville, Falaise, St. Michel, Juno Beach, and Caen, they have museums with the same theme recalling the tragedy of June 6, 1944, or the so-called La Bataille de Normandie.

In conclusion, if you are tired of shopping and partying in Paris, it is good to be balanced with learning French history by coming to Caen and other towns in the region of Normandy.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About travelerezzy

A beautiful garden in front of Chateau Ducal, Caen.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.