Existing Member?

Hello Lady, Where You from?

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [139] | Scholarship Entry

The humid air welcomed me as I get off the plane. As I exit the immigration, I headed to the transport service desk. With no plan on hand, I was a bit clueless on where to start. This is adventure, I told myself. A sign greeted me at the station: $2 motorbike, $4 tuktuk, $6 taxi. I took the cheapest one.

He greeted me, “hello lady, where you from?” The smile on my face immediately faded. Why would someone I met for the first time ask me such personal question?! He cheerfully introduced himself and asked my name too. His name is Kong. He led me to the parking lot.

My prejudices about this "rude" guy were slowly fading as we cruise the busy highway; but I kept a bit of doubt in my heart. He started chatting and told me about his country. He told me about the temples and all the touristy place. My distrust heightened again and thought this is another tourist trap.

"Where you from, Teddie?" he asked again as I fearfully watch him take off his helmet while riding the bike. He asked more questions; he asked me if I’ve been to other places as well. I gave him vague answers.

He told me about his country, about the town where he came from. He was apologetic about his poor English grammar but continued to share stories he read or heard from his previous passengers. He wanted to explore the world the way his passengers did. He wanted to see the world but he has no money to afford it. He also expressed his desire to have a family but he needed to save money to pay his bride’s dowry. I feel for him.

It came to me, Kong was not being rude when he asked where I am from. He was genuinely interested where I came from. His financial difficulty did not stop him from traveling, he visited places through his books and his encounters with travelers like me. I was humbled; I was sorry about my prejudices about him.

We reached the city center and I settled to stay in this simple hostel, the receptionist welcomed me “Hello lady, where you from?” I smiled and remembered Kong.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About travelectra


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.