Existing Member?

Africa Travel Guide

Colors in the wild at Chameleon Hill Lodge

UGANDA | Tuesday, 23 September 2014 | Views [436]

Set 45min from Kisoro town is the newly opened Chameleon Hill Lodge.  The lodge offers great accommodation, with options of choosing from a single, twin or double. The lodge looks good in its unique colors that were used both from the inside and outside with unequaled million views of Lake Mutanda and Virunga ranges; on a clear day, you can see all the 5 both in Uganda and DRC and great views of the active volcano (Nyiragongo) during the night.

How to get there

By road, drive from Kampala to Kisoro that can take you about 9-10 hours then take the bumpy road to Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.

There are also flights available by Air Uganda from Entebbe Airport to Kisoro airstrip then take the road to Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.

What to do

Visit the islands

From the lodge, you can take your journey on the only motorboat ride on lake Mutanda. It will take you 15 minutes to the ‘Punishment’ island or you can make it more enjoyable on a canoe. This is one of the islands that acted as a prison for the wrongdoers, girls who got pregnant before marriage and old aged because they could not burry them. The human remains in the cave are estimated to be more than 100 years. This is still regarded as a sacred island which is not inhabited to date. Among the Bafumbira, they go to this island to ask for blessings from their ancestor.

The next island is the Python Island where you can have an opportunity of seeing pythons basking on the morning sun. More interesting on this island are the underground pits that were used to store food for the people on the mainland. Currently, there are also no inhabitants on this island

The last of the islands was Mutanda Island which is the biggest. Have time to visit the community on this island or attend a charismatic church service. You can help the people on this island through donating a few things to the children. If you are interested in visiting people on this island, contact the lodge and they will arrange it for you.

Go gorilla tracking: The lodge is conveniently located 45 minutes from Kisoro town and 45 minutes to the tracking point. The nearest roups and Nkuringo and Rushaga gorilla families

Boat or canoe ride: Enjoy the beauty of Lake Mutanda on your motorboat or canoe

For More Information, contact

www.chameleonhilllodge.com

Tags: bwindi, canoeing, gorilla tracking, kisoro, trekking, uganda tours

 

About traveleast


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Uganda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.