Existing Member?

COLOMBIAN TREAVELARNING THE WORLD

The journey that picked me and transformed me

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 1 May 2014 | Views [149] | Scholarship Entry

How did a 26 year old Colombian business professional, with a promising career, working for one of the biggest multinational companies in South America, after being together with her boyfriend for more than 4 years, with plans of settling soon and start a family, surrounded and raised by such a conservative culture just decides from one day to another to leave everything behind, spend all her life savings, ask for government loan and go to see the world?. She must be crazy!. Its not all that she had what every single woman in Colombia wishes for? But something was missing...
She was hungry and thirsty... That hunger for mind opening experiences, for new landscapes, new smiles and new languages, hunger for diversity! She also had that thirst of getting to know more about herself, testing which were her limits, discovering and maximizing her skills and becoming a more humble, tolerant person...
All that sounds very positive and not harming at all! The thing is, that is not a very common hunger or thirst for a Colombian woman to have. Her closest friends and relatives didn’t understand her decision even though a Master´s degree was the "excuse".
It all began when She started questioning herself and analysing her society. She found that most of the women that had been her “role models” “(great job,partner, achievements and just their perfect life) now had slowly started to seem pale, vanished or hidden after a shadow. Why was that? She found out that all these women she was working to become into were just the result of a society demand for molds. It had made her and most of the women become into zombies!

She wanted to be happy! That is what her parents always advised, that’s what she kept repeating herself most of her life. To be honest, she didn’t really understand the meaning of it, so when started to question herself, she started to realised that the direction she was taking was not going to be a good booster for that happiness She had always dreamed of.

So, here She is. In Cambridge, UK, single, jobless, indebted, living the time of her life, smiling every day at the sunrise, getting to know herself, living day by day, traveling every time she gets the chance and starting conversation with pretty much every single person that sits next to her in the bus station, in the small café during breakfast, in class or in the park bench, learning German, having friends from every continent of the World... In conclusion, She can now say: “IM HAPPY”

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About travelearner


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.