Existing Member?

The Tupper Feeling

Documentary Scholarship 2011 entry

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 9 June 2011 | Views [261] | Scholarship Entry

The meeting with Tupperware saleswoman Madhu, happened just as randomly as it is portrayed in the film. She asked me to paint her toenails, we started talking and she invited me to come along.

Though very brief, the meeting was a surprising and eye opening experience to me. In my world, Tupperware is associated with housewives from the sixties, old-fashioned gender roles and reactionary values - but to the Indian saleswomen I met at the tupperware meeting, the plastic boxes were an empowering business, helping them to economic independency and offering a strong social bond between the saleswomen.

I like experiences like these, which break with my established view on the world. These are also the stories I like to work with, when making documentary films - the kind of stories that makes you reconsider all stereotypes and open your eyes to really look at the world with wonder.

I study journalism, focusing on documentary. I always travel with my video camera, ready to capture crazy and beautiful moments and stories on the way. To be able to do this always, and to work on developing my skills as a visual storyteller, is a big dream of mine.

Tags: #2011Video, Travel Documentary Scholarship 2011

About traveldocumentaryscholarship2011appl


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.