Existing Member?

Anatomy of travel

How can a tourist show Zagreb to other tourists?

CROATIA | Sunday, 4 May 2014 | Views [139] | Scholarship Entry

In the past five years wherever I traveled something strange has happened, which makes me high risk person for insurance companies. I lined up seven traffic accidents, jumping off the train tracks, exotic diseases and strange natural phenomena. The final drop was when I finally decided not to travel anywhere and then lightning struck me in my own bed. The next morning I packed up and decided to go and work as a shepherd on one of Croatian islands. The road took me through the capital, Zagreb, where I was supposed to spend the night in a friend's house. In my train compartment there were five people from Belgrade. We should have come to Zagreb at 9 p.m. They said they have a midnight train to Belgrade. Since I'm a big fan of traveling, it was hard for me to hear that they would spend three hours at the station instead of seeing the city. I asked them if they were interested that I show them around. The fact that my last bus was at 11.30 p.m., or the fact that I don't know the city, didn't matter at all. Everyone were very excited and they fully trusted I knew what I was doing. They said they were going to tell that to the others. I didn’t think that there were actually 15 of them on the train. We had two hours to look around Zagreb and the fact that I didn't know anything about it, nor where we were going, couldn't be an obstacle. At 21:15 we came to the center, I looked around and asked all gods to direct me to the right path towards the Upper Town. When the Parliament and church of St. Mark pointed out, I almost cried from happiness. At 21:40 we went down to the center. Excursion was running after me and carried the wounded. Then I randomly chose one passage between the two bars. I was hoping that this was the way to the cathedral, although, as we passed some dark paths, junkies were watching us in wonder. The cathedral was in sight. We were saved. We went down to the center and had time to see the National Theater. But how could I find it in the dark? I followed the tram tracks because I knew that the tram runs past it. My plan was genius. Suddenly, we stood before National Theater at 22:10. Sweat poured from my face. For the people of Belgrade that was the adrenaline sightseeing and for me it was a real religious experience. We had 15 minutes to eat the ice cream. At 23:15 I ran to the bus. I dragged myself to the apartment and friend anxiously asked me, "Where have you been?" I paused a little and said, "You know, I stopped for ice cream..."

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About traveldoctor


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Croatia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.