Existing Member?

Gallivanting in Europe

Volleyball on Jesus Green

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 21 August 2011 | Views [597]

The Backs overlooking King's College

The Backs overlooking King's College

Sunday started as a lazy morning. Woke up at 11am and had lunch at 3pm. Pasta is a daily staple as it's easy to make. We had spaghetti carbonara and a quick world politics discussion, aided by the map that hung on the wall in their kitchen. Gloria had to study so I wandered inside the colleges using her student card which meant entrance was free. Tip - at times the exit at The Backs are unmanned so entrance is free there too.

King's College Chapel was the most popular and grandest in design. The high ceiling features the world's largest fan vault, i.e the fan pattern, which was amazing to look at. But my favourite part of King's was by the bridge where the enormity of the college, punters and the blue sky could be captured in one shot.

St John's was also impressive to walk through. The grounds were huge, and on this sunny day everybody was having a grand time. Unfortunately Trinity College, where all the geniusness originated - Newton's apple tree, the speed of sound was calculated and Winnie the Pooh was born - was being refurbished.

Quickly making my way to Jesus Green I went to watch Gloria play a game of volleyball. Luca and I being hopeless at it, decided to play frisbee instead. After a few hours, when people started leaving and hence less spectators at my horrible attempt, I got up to play volleyball. We lost of course. All around people were playing sport or lying around. So this is what a university campus is like! Cambridge seems the place to be if you enjoy studying, joining societies, having barbeques no matter the weather, punting and picnicing. That's it, I'm transferring.

I hitched a ride on the front of Luca's bike and we rode back to the apartment. Dinner was a work of art - two types of bruschetta, salami, mushrooms, pate, camembert and grilled vegetables. This was the best day of my trip so far!

Tags: cambridge, jesus green, kings college chapel, punting, st johns

 

About travelcrazed


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.