Existing Member?

An adventure in the past

An adventure in the past

SYRIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [467] | Scholarship Entry

In 2010 just before the start of what I personally call “uprising”, and I won’t go into the dilemma of naming it so let’s just say before the start of the current situation, a friend of mine and me went there for a trip of ten days, and had one of unexpected breathtaking trips in our lives.

Syria, this beautiful virgin country was considered for both of us as a journey in the past, this trip was very special to us specially me as I felt myself returning to my childhood, yes I felt what I felt when I was a kid, same air breath of my childhood starting from breakfast in the hotel where we found a type of cheese called “El Walad” or the boy that we used to eat when we were kids, which I actually don’t know exactly why its production was stopped in Egypt, then finding this type of orange soda that doesn't exist now in Egypt too and passing by the man who sells the lottery tickets which was a common scene in the streets of Cairo, Egypt when we were children.

As I’m from Cairo in Egypt I observed a lot of similarity with Syria, and not this modern polluted, populated and chaotic Cairo but Cairo of my childhood. This was by all means an adventure in the past.

Our trip to Syria was divided into three main cities which are Damascus, Latakia and Aleppo over the ten days, which were not really enough to explore these beautiful cities.
Each city has its own character of course, Damascus the capital city of Syria, called El Sham by the locals, where we can see the history and where we can find the old monuments of the Umayyad era. As for Aleppo, it’s considered as the commercial city of Syria but has as well a very majestic citadel “Citadel of Aleppo” where you can see the whole city from its top. And if you need a couple of days to relax just pass by Latakia, this stunning coastal city on the Mediterranean where you can find an astonishing nature and a state of peace of mind.

Overwhelmed by their hospitality and sense of humor Syrians never let you feel anywhere but home and as I mentioned ten days weren't enough thus my friend and I decided in our way back home to plan for our next visit in the coming year however unfortunately the situation has erupted there.

Hope that peace will reign again in El Sham so people from all over the world can see this beautiful country and meet such amazing people.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About travelcarpet


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Syria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.