Existing Member?

Nature’s glory

Mosquito Bay, Vieques

PUERTO RICO | Sunday, 24 May 2015 | Views [183] | Scholarship Entry

I knew I had to visit Vieques, a small island off the Puerto Rico mainland. I heard that the bioluminescent bay there was one of the best. Something definitely to be experienced that words cannot do justice.

After some last minute arrangements, I arrived at the tiny tranquil island in the afternoon. The feeling of liberty and the adventure before me was both scary and exhilarating. That night, in a small kayaking group, we quietly paddled out into Mosquito bay. We were covered in complete darkness, with the exception of small lights on our life jackets to indicate where each other were. As my eyes adjusted to the dark, it was hard to judge where the others were. We gently glided in the water, bumping each other at times. It was the only sound breaking the softness of our paddling.

Our guide did not have to tell us when we arrived. At first the illumination was lightly speckled. The excitement grew. Soon our kayaks and oars would glow with ripples of illuminated small particles, like tiny beads trickling down and disappearing into darkness. The further we kayaked the more the water around us glowed. It was fascinating seeing my fellow kayakers light up around me. I could clearly see where they were now. My smile and incredulity grew. I could not take my eyes of the helm of my kayak and whenever my oar touched the water.

The glow was from dinoflagellates; which are single-celled organisms. We reached one point where on the encouragement of our guide, we slid into the black water. As we moved through the water, our bodies would be lit up by these tiny life forms. It felt like Tinkerbell was dusting us with fairy dust. It was a true magical experience. The fear of what lay beneath in the water in the dark was at times overwhelming. In the end, I did not want to leave, but we eventually paddled back in darkness; leaving the beautiful dark twinkling bay behind us.

While Vieques is somewhat known, not many bother to visit this tiny island. Visit Vieques. Plan ahead and go around a new moon (for darkness) and hope for rain. The water glowing with each raindrop as it touches the water is something even more special. If you do not have time to plan, like I did not, the tourist office at the San Juan airport in Puerto Rico is very helpful in arranging your travel. They can also assist in booking local accommodation.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About travelbunny

Cycling San Francisco

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Puerto Rico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.