Existing Member?

Have You Seen 'The' World?

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Friday, 20 April 2012 | Views [179] | Scholarship Entry

Living with same routines and cultures everyday can make someone think that 'the' world is small and moving only around him. But as a matter of fact, it is only 'his' world which is so.

For me and most people who live in a city, 'our' world is getting up early, going to campus or work, have some fun afterwards then going home. However, 'the' world is not all about that. This is what I get from my backpacking trip.

On the way back from my trip to Lombok, I planned to take a 6 a.m. plane from Denpasar (Bali) to Jakarta because it was much cheaper compared to plane flying from Mataram (Lombok) to Jakarta. To reach Denpasar, I need to take ferry from Pelabuhan Lembar to Padang Bai, then take a public car to Denpasar. Unfortunately, the ferry was 2 hours late. When I finally arrived at Padang Bai, it was 4 a.m. already. I had no choice but to rent a very expensive car with no other passengers other than me and a friend to rush to the airport. It normally takes 90 minutes to reach the airport from Padang Bai, so I asked the driver to go fast. At a point, the car suddenly turned into a dark forest. Through the flash of car's light I could see some deers running away from the car. I was panicked and alerted, but it turned out that the driver was just going to pick someone up from his house. Yes, his house (if I could refer to it as 'house') was in a middle of a dark forest with no neighbors. Who could imagine that? What kind of world are these guys living?

This guy the driver was picking up was better in driving. So we got back to the roads and rushed to the airport. When we arrived, it was too late. I lost my plane but that was not the important part. I came to a conclusion that 'my' world is just a part of 'the' world. There are so many ways in seeing the world as there are humans. Our world is so huge and complex even the 'world wide web' can't simplify it. We can't see 'the' world only with our own eyes, but let's try seeing it through others eyes too.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About travelblog


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.