Existing Member?

Pura Vista on the road "I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move."

The connection between a Rubik cube and Christmas markets in Europe

BELGIUM | Wednesday, 2 January 2013 | Views [1067]

I came to Brussels, Belgium for the holidays and I’ve hit up 4 Christmas markets in 4 different European cities.  What’s so great about ChristmaImages markets? Besides the fact that many have been up and running since the Middle Ages, they convenient for stocking up on interesting gifts while sipping from mugs filled with hot wine. If you’re overly fascinated by the architecture of medieval churches, make sure to take your camera because most stands are set up right in front of cathedrals.   

Cologne, Germany – 160 vendors come to set up shop all around the city, whether it be by the frightening Gothic cathedral or on the banks of the Rhine river, all offer elegant gifts.  Most importantly, don’t forget to eat Currywurst

Aachen, Germany – If you head there during the day, you’ll best see that its set within the walls of Charlemagne’s former palace.  If you happen to hit this place while its pouring down rain, head over to the shop at the corner for some cheap hot wine offered in a cute boot-shaped mug.  It’ll warm your complaints away.

Bruges, Belgium – I just stumbled upon this Christmas market on new years day.  Food on one side (including churros!) and artifacts on the other, divided by an ice rink with happy skating strangers only added to the town’s antique-like beauty. I hear that an American film ”In Bruges” was filmed in Bruges and it stars Colin Farrell.  If you never get the chance to hit this town, please admire its beauty as depicted in the film. 

Strasbourg, France – Now this tradition goes back to the 1500s and the official animal of this town is a STORK.  Yes, that long-legged and long-necked bird with long, stout bills.  And the handicrafts won’t let you forget about this towns triangle shaped liked houses and its regional bird.

BY FAR, the souvenirs found at the Christmas market in Strasbourg i believe were the most unique.  Where else can one find a snake like Rubik as such:

Image

And VOILA! Finally completed by yours truly:

Image

Thanks youtube for making me a freaking genius :).

Tags: belgium, brussels, european christmas markets, rubik cube

 

About travelaffair

participants dressed up as farmers and dancing around town during the festival

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Belgium

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.