Existing Member?

Exchange trip to Romania

Dracula's Castle

ROMANIA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [99] | Scholarship Entry

On the second day of the trip we left Ovidiu's little hometown at 8 AM. I still felt a little tipsy from yesterday evening's Romanian Moonshine. Luckily my host mother made an awesome breakfast (note to myself: ask for the recipe!) so we could start the day properly. We arrived in Fagaras where our bus waited for us. We were almost the last pair missing - but no one knew where Max and his partner were. After fifteen more minutes - the bus was almost leaving - Max was brought to the place by his host mother and without his exchange student. He told us that he had the most horrible night ever and that his drunken partner crashed the car against a stop sign and later into a fence. For god's sake Max was fine, we left Fagaras and headed for Bran Castle near Brasov. Bran Castle is well known for one of his former inhabitants: Vlad Dracul, better known as Count Dracula. The castle was much smaller than I expected and unfortunately it has been turned into a touristic attraction way too much. In front of the castle were hundreds of little shops selling plush toy vampires, werewulfs, masks and of course blood booze. We quickly headed for the entrance were our tour guide was waiting for us. The guide could only speak Romanian so one of our exchange students hat to translate everything she said. Inside the castle there were lots of small (and sometimes secret) corridors and the furniture was pretty raw - just like in a farmer's house. In one bigger hall there was the famous picture of Vlad Dracul hanging at the wall that I discovered on wikipedia before we went to Romania.
The tour ended on a small yard on top of the roof where the guide told us about the war between Romania and Turkey - which was the reason for Dracula to hide there. The view from the castle was breathtaking. The small Transilvanian hills and the huge Carpathian Mountains in the background - Ovidiu promised me that he would take me into the mountains to the small house where he and his family stay during holiday. I hope he doesn't forget it because the big thing I enjoy most in this beautiful country is this peace and quiet that we barely have in Cologne...

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About transylvania


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Romania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.