Existing Member?

Uncomfortably Unexpected

USA: Lost in the Everyday

USA | Tuesday, 22 April 2014 | Views [79] | Scholarship Entry

Everyone has some experience of, or at least knows about, “Culture Shock.” Feeling uncomfortable or uneasy in the bustling city streets of Delhi or in a little Chinese village, caught in a time bubble around the eighteenth century, is expected. And that which is expected can be prepared for. But there was nothing I could have done to prepare me for the variety of different receptions, reactions and interactions I had with residents of the United States.
Right now, you all think I’m mad, “How could a Western, English speaking nation, cause you to feel uncomfortable? Especially in the big cities.” Well to start off, in central Philadelphia, a major city in Pennsylvania, I had trouble understanding the servers at a Philly cheese steak shop. I had to get someone to translate. Having to ask another patron to translate the servers English into comprehensible English is an incredibly awkward and uncomfortable thing to do! I’d probably feel more comfortable doing the same thing in a non-English speaking country, because it is expected. How did I end up here, in a cheese steak shop, needing a translator?
Now this is not just one sided, there are also instances in which I am not being understood properly, just because of the way I pronounce my vowels. You know how uncomfortable it is to ask or be asked the same question a few times, without understanding until either party pretends to comprehend with a fairly general statement that may or may not actually answer the question? That’s what a fair amount of conversations can be like, which is frustrating when you order a double cheeseburger with extra barbecue and end up with four waffles smothered in barbecue sauce.
Aside from language, social and cultural norms are different and can also easily create awkward and uncomfortable situations. For example back home we have a custom when meeting a female friend for the first time to shake hands, touch cheeks and simulate a kiss. This is not the norm in America, as I found out quite quickly after a swift backhand from a certain females guy friend. At that point whilst sitting shell-shocked on a dorm room floor I wondered, how did I end up here?
My experience of the USA was incredible; I met some incredible people and saw some amazing sights, but most importantly it was amazing to see how a culture so similar to ours, one that influences ours so much, could be so incredible different.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About transientvagabond


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.