Existing Member?

A Traditional Food of Indonesia

Understanding a Culture through Food - A Traditional Food of Indonesia

INDONESIA | Thursday, 18 April 2013 | Views [1014] | Scholarship Entry

There are some countries for which the project of becoming more established in nationhood can be read through food. In Israel, for example, you see shirts, postcards, dedicated to promoting the falafel as the national food. The Arabs, of course, say that's utter nonsense. The food that is designated the national food says a lot about how that nation interacts internally and how it wants to be seen from the outside. With food necessary for survival and also the source of pride, Fair looks at what people consider edible around the world to how they form collective opinions.
When you come to Indonesia, you will found the sevens Indonesian food which has been renowned in the world i.e. gado-gado, satay, fried rice, meatballs, soto, gudeg and yellow rice that become something unique in other countries. Basically Indonesia hasn’t a national food, but rather, the diversity of regional cuisine influenced locally by Indonesian cultures and foreign influences. For example, rice is processed into white rice, ketupat or lontong (steamed rice) as a staple food for the majority of Indonesia's population, but for the eastern part of Indonesia’s population usually more commonly used corn, sago, cassava, and sweet potato as a staple food. The landscape of its presentation is generally presented in the form of mostly Indonesian food staple with side dishes of meat, fish or vegetable.
Beside the sevens Indonesian foods which have been famous in the world, salad is one of my favorite foods, especially spicy one such as "Urap". Urap is Javanese (ethnic group of Indonesia) style salad. Its blanched vegetables in spicy coconut dressing. If you like salad, why do not give urap a try? Give something new to your salad!. You can serve urap as dinner or lunch appetisers, BBQ party, potluck, picnic, etc. It's fresh, light, low calorie, healthy, high in fiber, delicious, cheap and easy to make. You do not have need special cooking skill for fixing urap. Not only urap, but also rujak is an option as traditional salad in Indonesia. Rujak main components are fruits, vegetables ( cooked or raw), dressings (peanut sauce, sweet sauce, petis sauce, vinegar sauce, etc) and some snack such as crackers added as toppings. Indonesian rujak variants are rujak buah (fruit rujak), rujak serut, rujak tumbuk, rujak cingur, rujak juhi, etc. Therefore, what do you waiting for? come to Indonesia, and try some traditional foods here!

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About traditionalfood


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.