Existing Member?

Tracy's Travels

Antibes and Cannes

FRANCE | Monday, 11 November 2013 | Views [138]

Started the day with a full English breakfast at Queenie's on the Promenade des Anglais (very appropriately located). Wonderful way to start the day - yummy food and a superb view of the Mediterranean Sea with the sun shining. Then drove to Antibes which has Europe's biggest yacht harbour. And possibly Europe's biggest yachts too going by the size of some of them. If there's no room for me on a yacht in Nice then surely there must be on one of the yachts in Antibes!

There is a gorgeous little protected beach at Antibes which must get very crowded in summer. We went for a walk on the wall surrounding the old town and the views were fantastic all the way around. My lunch in Antibes was a sundae - three scoops of icecream (vanilla, chocolate and caramel), chocolate sauce, whipped cream and crushed hazelnuts. It was delicious!

After lunch we drove to Cannes (it is most definitely pronounced 'can'). I didn't like it much. Besides it's renowned film festival and a great beach, I don't think it has much else to recommend it. No museums or galleries or anything like that mentioned in the tourist guide. Still the next time I see snippets on TV of movie stars at the film festival I will be able to recognise some of the grand hotels. Its beach also has sand rather than rocks so we went for a paddle in the Mediterraneamn Sea. The water was chilly but not as cold as I thought it would be.

By the time we got back to Nice - fairly heavy traffic at the end of a long weekend - we were too tired to go out for dinner so just made do with what food we had in our apartment. Cheese and biscuits was enough for me anyway after my big icecream lunch!

About tracyfrance2013


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.