Existing Member?

Tracy's Travels

Exploring Nice

FRANCE | Saturday, 9 November 2013 | Views [200]

A fine sunny day so after breakfast we headed straight down to the bay again. What a difference a bit of sunshine can make! The bay looked absolutely beautiful and I now understand the attraction of the Mediterranean Sea. The blue colours of the water at the different depths were simply divine! We walked along the Promenade des Anglais just admiring the beauty of it all. 

We then got on a little tourist train which takes you around the main sights in about 40 minutes including a ten-minute stop at the top of a hill overlooking the Bay of Angels and indeed all of Nice. Before going up the hill it goes through the old part of Nice and after the hill it goes around the port. All beautiful. There was also an incredible WW1 monument cut into the rockface between the old town and the port.

We then chose one of the Italian restaurants in the old town for lunch. (Heaps of Italian restaurants given how close Nice is to Italy.) We are good choosers as it was another excellent meal. Our apartment was about halfway between where we had lunch and the Russian church we wanted to see so we went 'home' for a little bit of downtime before heading out again.

The Russian church in Nice is the biggest Russian church outside of Russia. It is situated in the middle of a residential area away from the coastline and is surrounded by a lovely garden with big trees so it was very peaceful there. The church itself is gorgeous on the outside - such a different type of architecture to all the other churches we've seen and the colours were glorious. However it's very gloomy on the inside. There were a lot of icons and other artefacts, some of which looked as though they could be interesting, but it was too dark to really make out the detail of anything and none of the signs or labels were helpful as they were all written in Russian.

We left the church and walked the long way (in a big circle) back to our apartment. Of course this just meant we worked up an appetite again so we stopped at an Indian restaurant close to our apartment for dinner. The Italian at lunchtime was excellent but it was outdone by the superb Indian food that night.

About tracyfrance2013


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.