Existing Member?

Tracy's Travels

Gordes and Musee des Aromes et du Parfum

FRANCE | Tuesday, 5 November 2013 | Views [205]

Today was even colder than yesterday and rainy as well. But we'd already had our day off so we layered up and headed out. There are some days when one simply does not care about hat hair!

We first went to a hilltop mediaeval village called Gordes. The views of the village from the bottom of the hill were sublime and the views of the valleys all around from the village itself were breathtaking. A little market is held in the village square each Tuesday so we wandered around there for a bit although we did keep ducking in to shops as well more to get out of the cold than from a desire to buy anything. Had a great lunch at a restaurant called Le Jardin which did indeed have a pretty garden. We sat at the back of the restaurant next to the full-length windows so we could admire the view while we ate.

Next stop was at a village called Coustellet which had a lavender museum. I can't stand the smell of lavender so left Lindee there and went for a walk around the village. Stopped at a cafe and bravely ordered a coffee and was pleasantly surprised when it was a reasonably good coffee served in a big mug.

Last stop for the day was at a perfume museum near a village called Graveson-en-Provence. The museum was part of an operating perfumery where they grew all the different herbs and flowers, distilled the essences, mixed up the perfumes, lotions and oils, and did their own bottling. The museum part had a lot of old copper stills and other equipment needed to make perfumes as well as a massive collection of old, unusual and rare perfume bottles. 

About tracyfrance2013


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.