Existing Member?

Tracy's Travels

The Venice of Provence

FRANCE | Sunday, 3 November 2013 | Views [124]

The name of the town where we're staying is L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue but it is also referred to as the 'Venice of Provence'. That's probably stretching things a bit - no gondolas for a start - but it is built on the islands created by five branches of the Sorgue River and there are numerous little canals running through the town. It is a very pretty place. But you won't get peace and quiet here on a Sunday!

A Sunday market has been held here since 1596 and has grown to become the third biggest antiques market in Europe. I can't imagine what it must be like during 'the season' (the months of July and August) as it was slow going trying to walk around the market when it wasn't considered to be busy! The stalls were the usual mixture of rubbish, beautiful antiques (which I could neither afford nor get home), brocantes (bric-a-brac) where I did buy a couple of things, food, local produce including beautiful bunches of flowers and manchester (bought some of that as well).

Luckily our accommodation is very close to where all the action takes place so it was easy to 'come home' for lunch and we even ducked back to go to the loo! Easier, quicker and cheaper than going to a cafe and paying for something just so we could use their 'toilettes'. 

An interesting day with nice, sunny weather after the fog lifted but I am hoping for something a bit quieter tomorrow.

About tracyfrance2013


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.