Existing Member?

Tracy's Travels

Going back to France on the ferry

FRANCE | Wednesday, 23 October 2013 | Views [134]

Very early start today as we had to be at the ferry terminal by 7.30am! We had a little outside cabin where we could leave our luggage so that made it easy to walk around and explore the ferry. They did predict a rough crossing and just after we passed the Isle of Wight an announcement was made that passengers were 'strictly forbidden' from going out on the outside decks. I was checking out the gift shop when we hit a big wave and perfume bottles and - even worse - bottles of alcohol went flying off the shelves and crashing onto the floor. I then had to leave the shop so the staff could clean up all the broken glass and mess.

I found Lindee in the cafe and was having a cup of tea and a chocolate eclair (filled with chocolate cream) when they again announced that passengers were forbidden from going out on the decks and also advised passengers to 'avoid leaving' their seats. It was at this point I decided I definitely don't suffer from seasickness! As we weren't forbidden from leaving our seats we went back to our cabin for a nap. It was lovely being rocked to sleep. When we woke up we went to the restaurant for lunch. We were the only two people in there (admittedly there were a few other hardy souls in the self-serve bistro). I had the Avocado, Prawn and Asparagus Salad which was very yummy.

We arrived back in France to a beautiful sunny day and went to the motel we had booked in Caen. It was awful! NOTHING like the description or photos on the website. We did not stay there and Lindee made sure we got a refund. I sat in the cafe downstairs to use their free WiFi while Lindee went for a walk to see if she could find a nice motel. The account I created had the UserName HorribleHotel and the Password HideousHotel. Lindee returned before I'd finished logging on as she'd found a good motel just two minutes walk up the road. We even had a kitchenette and access to a laundry at the new place. Oh what joy to be able to wash one's only pair of jeans. We went out and bought bread, cheese, ham, avocado and tomato and made ourselves a simple but yummy dinner and we also bought some fruit to have for breakfast the next day.

About tracyfrance2013


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.