Existing Member?

Tracy's Travels

Eiffel Tower, Paris Bird Market, the Louvre and Chez Jenny

FRANCE | Sunday, 13 October 2013 | Views [168]

Woke up with a 'champagne head' but still got out of bed early so I could get to the Eiffel Tower at least 30 minutes before it opened which is what I had been told I needed to do. Well fat lot of good that did me. The starting (and finishing) line for the Paris 20km run being held that day was at the Eiffel Tower. Roads were closed, paths were blocked and there were PEOPLE EVERYWHERE. I found out later that over 34,000 people were participating in the run and they must have all brought along about five family members each. Only one of the four entrances to the tower was open so I quickly gave up on the idea of going up the top and took photos from the bottom of it instead. On my way back to the Metro I came across the Promenade d'Australie which gave me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Next stop was the Paris Bird Market which I had read would include exotic birds. Some of them were certainly very exotic and looked remarkably like rabbits and squirrels. There were lots of Australian birds there (which I suppose the French would think were exotic), particularly budgerigars.

Then to the Louvre. Apparently you would need to spend all day Saturday and all day Sunday every weekend for three years to even just glance at all the artworks in there. So I guess on that basis I've seen approximately 0.3% of its contents. Only another 99.7% to see on future trips to Paris.

Time for a little rest before we went out to dinner at Chez Jenny for Lindee's birthday. We were joined by the same people who went with us to Moulin Rouge the previous night plus another two of Lindee's friends. This was the only restaurant we'd booked as there were 10 of us. I had a three course meal and ate everything! Again the food was delicious. I can't remember the name of what I had for my main meal (some beef dish with a yummy sauce) but I had the Cream of Shellfish Soup to start with and a Caramel Mousse for dessert.

About tracyfrance2013


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.