Existing Member?

The Udupi Deity Experience

Hindu Temple, Udupi

INDIA | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [78] | Scholarship Entry

It was claustrophobic, it was hot, it was intimidating; it was the place I fell in love with India and everything it symbolises. Faith, culture, worship, people – it all came together in Udupi Sri Krishna Matha temple in Karnataka, India.

A traditional Hindu place of worship, hundreds of people had gathered on this January evening in 2013 to celebrate and worship Krishna. With topless men and covered up women, darkened and decorated walls lit only by candlelight, bare feet and a maze of sanded corridors and tunnels leading us into the packed inner centre of the beautiful temple, this was a place like nowhere I had been before.

My host held onto me tightly, as did many others, as chanting, singing, rituals, echoes, humming and prayers had me gazing at the community wide-eyed as they worshiped their deity. I let myself get involved in the moment and took in everything I was privileged to be part of. I lost myself in time and an hour had passed in what felt like five minutes. I had been carried along with the bustling crowd as they went on their pilgrimage of honour and worship for Krishna.

Outside again, looking at the peaceful and adorned ancient temple, I couldn’t believe that I had been part of the activity within its walls; something which had been taking place for more than 1000 years.

Staying with a local lady, Mithra, a highly respected community elder aged 72, enabled me to see the real India and get inside places I would never have gone on my own. Although I’m not a typical home bird, I had also never yearned to explore the world. As a youngster, I loved reading about it, but the thought of going out there alone was scary for a young female. But after my diagnosis with a bowel disease in 2012, one I had suffered for 15 years, I decided to tackle life head on while I still felt able to. My new mantra? There is a great big world out there and not everybody is lucky enough to have the chance to explore it.

Previously, my illness ruled me, but India showed me that people are everything and we should have belief in ourselves and others around us. While some of my family and medical specialists advised against going to India, I came back with a newfound confidence, determination and love for exploring and meeting the locals; discovering the real culture of a country.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About tracycal


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.