Existing Member?

Tracy's Adventures My adventures around the globe.

Back to Meribel

FRANCE | Wednesday, 31 January 2007 | Views [444]

Evana, from Melbourne, and I

Evana, from Melbourne, and I

I am definately living the good life!!! It's warm and crystal clear here, the pistes are soft and I'm almost a ski pro now... ok... maybe not a pro, but definately better! I've just been at the top of one of the peaks in the glorious afternoon sun after a perfect day of skiing, with my mp3 player playing U2's 'Beautiful Day' and thinking to myself that life doesn't get much better than this.

I've been in Meribel for about three weeks, interrupted by a three day trip back to London for more paperwork for the company. In that time, I have worked a total of 6 hours.... babysitting.... listening to a silent baby monitor. And yes I still get paid. My boss tells me the work is coming, but in the meantime, I'm working on becoming an olympic skiier... I certainly have enough time!!! In actual fact I'm not game enough to become a great skiier I don't think, I am too aware of the many invalids roaming the town with arms in slings and plasters and even wheelchairs. But I am starting to really enjoy it. At the beginning I was almost brought to tears with the frustrations of falling 'again', but I made it through today without stacking it.... until right at the end... and the twisted, throbbing knee is a constant reminder not to get too cocky.

If there is a downside to not working (which there isn't really, I'm not complaining!!) the lack of human contact might be it. When I got here I moved into 'the village'- 10 mins out of Meribel Centre, into a room with Emma (fine......) and Mike (her new boyfriend... slightly interesting), as well as a couple of other floaters around the appartment. The only thing is I never saw any of them. They work such long hours and I worked none, so we never saw each other. It started to get a little lonely. But I've moved appartments now- into the thick of things with plenty of nice people around. And there are a few ski buddies I can hook up with, so its great.

So I went back to London for a few days, and passed through Lyon again, where I got a much needed salsa fix, and a 'Maya fix' too. I'm clearly not a seasoned traveller yet, though. Thought I was pretty organised, but didn't check the bus from Grenoble train station to the airport- it didn't come. 70 euros later in a taxi... (about 120AUD) The taxi cost more than my return flights to London. And it wasn't even a nice drive!!! I caught up with and stayed with Tarek and Sharron (from salsa in Sydney) which was so nice. I had such a great time with them.

So now back in Meribel and loving the good life!!

Tags: Adventures

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.