Existing Member?

Tracy's Adventures My adventures around the globe.

France

FRANCE | Thursday, 4 January 2007 | Views [539]

Val D'Isère

Val D'Isère

After a big NYE in Wibledon with Libby and her flat mates, I was a little... tired... so I nearly missed my flight to Lyon. Got to the airport at 9:55, and amazingly managed to make my 10:25 flight.

I met Maya in Lyon and had the most amazing night in this beautiful city, both for the fact that I could see Maya again and because it was everything I hoped, dreamt about and expected from France. From the decadent architecture, to the bright shop windows full of french fashion that I could never wear but just admire, to the croissants and cafés and fairy-lit alleys, the array of 12th, 15th, 18th century churches and of course the restaurants, brasseries, patisseries, etc...-eries!

I was shown around by Maya and Olivier- who was born and bred in Lyon. He could tell me about all the buildings, churches, rivers and histories, of course with a passion only a frenchman could have, and embellished with plenty of 'pffs' and 'Oh la las'. The architectural hi-light was probably the 19C Notre-Dame de Fourviere basilica with beautiful mosaics of stories of the saints and a fantastic view of the city. We then sat down to a traditional Lyonnais 3 course meal that lasted no less than four hours and was to die for, and laughed all night. They say there are three rivers in Lyon; The Rhone, the Seone and the 'fleuve de vin' - the river of wine! It was so nice!


It was hard to leave Maya after only an afternoon together, but heading for the French Alps made it a little easier!

I met up with some people from Descent <the company> who sent me up to the closest place to heaven on earth, both in majesty and in altitude: Val D'Isère. It is an amazing way to be introduced to snow! I am here to nanny for families that come to stay in a chalet for the week for in the region of £20-40 000 (yes, for the week). This chalet i'm working in is stunning, of course, with a 16C chapel out the back. The staff and clients are fantastic. The Scottish chef makes me three meals a day, I get free ski passes and hire, nice (free) accomodation, an incredible view, and they pay me to be here!!! My first night I had caviar (at £200 a tub) from the kitchen and a glass of nice champagne from the clients, then hit the town with Dan (the English driver) and Steve and Pete (from Australia) and checked out the local pubs. Yesterday I spent the afternoon 'working' with Ross- A Scottish 6 year old who is naughty and doesn't listen to a word I say and has the tantrum perfected, but cute regardless, and there's only one of him!! I will probably be here til the end of the week then go to a different ski resort and do the same thing. Gee, life is hard!!!

Tags: Adventures

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.