Existing Member?

A Portrait of Panama

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Saturday, 21 April 2012 | Views [152] | Scholarship Entry

I was overwhelmed by circumstance; I was fighting with my boyfriend, having issues at work, was and still am grieving the recent loss of my brother. I needed a new outlook and decided to travel to Panama City with friends hoping to find it.

When I arrived my first impression was the striking skyline; a breathtaking contrast of new and decaying architecture. A fine city, due to profit from tourism and international banking we were able to stay in a clean hostel with fresh water, enjoy fine dining and comforts like home. My stay was pleasant, but didn’t distract from my worries.

For part of our trip we planned a guided camping tour of the San Blas Islands. A two hour car ride on crumbling roadways and an hour by boat brought us to white sands and palm trees.

The website advertised fresh seafood and featured enticing photos of what to expect. We were told everything would be provided and brought only the recommended water and alcohol. The promised camping gear was more than rugged; it was unhygienic, and the meals were chicken and rice.

The island, aside from its beauty, was uncomfortably humid. The sun was strong and we were surrounded by saltwater and sand. I developed a rash on my face, swollen bug bites covered my legs, and despite sunscreen, I burnt.

However, after speaking with the Kuna tribe I began to relax, they taught me to enjoy island life. I found myself forgetting my problems instead learning to appreciate this paradise.

On the third day we travelled to another island and were treated to an enchanting dance held by the children, to celebrate female milestones in the matrilineal culture--that night I slept peacefully.

Upon return, my stay in Panama was only a few days and soon I was on my way home. My issues resurfaced but I also reflected on seeing the world through the eyes of the Kuna. I learned that life still has ups and downs, but the problems aren’t always as big as they seem, and sometimes you need to go out of your element to realize it.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About tracilin


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.