Existing Member?

herbert and i

Costa Rica and road rules

COSTA RICA | Wednesday, 30 July 2008 | Views [971] | Comments [6]

I was told the border crossing into Costa Rica would be easy, although more ordered still as tedious as the others. The chain was starting to really worry me at this stage as it was binding badly and slipping on the curved sprocket teeth. Then 20 kilometres into Costa Rica there was an almighty bang and Herbert freewheeled to a stop. The chain had come apart. So i started my slow walk to try to find the chain, there it was about 300metres back then the fun part find the joiner. Amazingly i found it stuck under the chain guard. So after a quick roadside repair, i was on my way even if it was at a leisurely 50km per hour. The road rules seem to apply here, i was trying to turn over double yellow lines and was given a stern talking too by a policeman. I will have to get used to not doing all sorts of illegal things on the road again. I was hoping to get to San Jose to find a sprocket but a massive downpour caused me to stop 60 kilometres short in a town called San Remon. Everything was saturated including passport and money, plastic bags for all the documents from now on. The next morning on leaving town a grinding noise then no power my worst fear was realised. The link had gone west this time with the chain and chain guard. Herbert rolled slowly to a stop in front of a  Suzuki dealer. The only way it could have been better was if it was a Yamaha dealer. Luckily nothing else seemed damaged this was as far as i would go. Phone calls were made to source the sprockets and a 2 day wait for delivery. Oh well could have happened in worse places, so here i am stuck in San Remon.

Day 2 in San Remon, i decided to go to the bike shop and change oil and filter, check valve clearance, change brake pads all the bits i have been meaning to do. With the help of the mechanic we got to and did all the other bits. Could you see a mechanic in Australia letting you work on your own bike with his help, using his tools, i do love the care free attitudes over here. You realise how uptight we really are in the west. Hopefully the parts will arrive and i can be on my way on Friday fingers crossed.

Day 3 in San Remon after lunch i rang the mechanic about Herbert and i got the gist that he was ready to be picked up. While getting ready to call a taxi the mechanic turned up to pick me up what service. When i got there i couldnt believe the trouble he had gone to. The sprockets had not shown up so last night he had gone to a friend who had machined me a new rear sprocket and taken the gear section from a new Honda front sprocket and welded in the Yamaha splined section talk about ingenuity. The grand total for all the work and parts was $250.00 as well as lunches supplied. If any bikers find themselves stuck in San Remon, Costa Rica, San Remon Suzuki is the place to stop. On the ride back to the hotel the bike ran like clockwork and the vibrations from the last few thousand kilometres were gone. All my clothes laundered and Herbert ready to go, tomorrow morning head for San Jose and the high pass towards the Panamanian frontier.

The ride to San Jose went smoothly through rolling countryside on good roads with hardly a car in sight. Then i reached San Jose and once again chaos lack of road signs and i was lost again, my expertise to getting lost has no bounds. Another 2 hour foray and i was free of the traffic, what is worse than traffic is pilgrims and there were thousnds blocking the roads heading to a church 20 kilometres north of San Jose. I have nothing against pilgrims but why cant they walk on the side of the road. Exhausted at walking the bike through the crowds i finally reached the beginning of the pass. Steep and winding to a height of around 3600 metres, Herbert was struggling, losing power but in true fashion he made it up and soon recovered his breathe as we made the fast descent back to the hot plains and ready for Panama.

Comments

1

Only you could roll to a stop in front of a Suzuki dealer! For anyone else, it would be in the middle of nowhere! Even in adversity the gods are watching over you! Chill out for a couple of days - what the rest of us would give to be in Costa Rica right now! xx Kylie

  Kylie Graham Jul 30, 2008 1:19 PM

2

Oh man Tony, I stop reading for a couple of weeks and there's all this excitement on your trip!!!! Sounds like a road-trip not easily forgotten....

Hope the repairs go well

  Gary Khoo Jul 31, 2008 12:25 AM

3

tony..i just read your blog about the engine acting up at altidude just wanted to remind u gary had that problem...it was solved by taking the air filter off since there is less oxigen at altitude...of course i do not know if this was your issue but it is worth a try when u hit the high passes....this is the first time i have have gotten to read your stuff and am thoughly enjoying it ...if u have any health issues feel free to contact me and i may be able to help....i'll be in touch and i will keep checking my e-mail just in case..happy trails ...marilyn(garys wife)

  marilyn Aug 3, 2008 3:43 AM

4

Tony, it's great that your Spanish is now good enough to charm traffic cops. Few skills could be more useful. Enjoy Panama. Cheers, Paul

  Paul Aug 4, 2008 8:48 AM

5

Tony, you are so inspiring! How lucky are you. You are well and truely being looked after it seems. How wonderful Stay safe and happy! xxx Vi

  violeta Aug 4, 2008 11:01 AM

6

Hey Tony,

Just catching up on your adventure after having been away for a couple of weeks. All I can say is WOW! You certainly are having a fantastic adventure, and your journal entries are fantastic.

It sounds like the bike is holding up well and that you're having a ball. I'm jealous to say the least.

Ride safely,

Damian.

  Damian Aug 4, 2008 3:36 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.