Existing Member?

An International Citizen

"Long Leave The Army!"

FRANCE | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [370] | Scholarship Entry

Countless contradictory emotions invaded me the moment I stepped in Verdun’s Cemetery in North East France last March.The most difficult task was to fight the tears that wanted disparately to stream down my face at the sight of the numerous graves.Maybe my French friends thought that my tears were fake,as I am Tunisian and I have absolutely nothing to do with a Western war.But I was weeping all the innocent soldiers that were killed in the name of patriotism,forgetting that we ought to strive for peace in the name of humanity.
I remember myself,wandering alone among the graves,reciting prayers and figuring out that I do have several Tunisian ancestors that are resting in peace here,as they were fighting either for France or for Germany.I then rushed back to the group and said with a smile upon my face: “Experiencing history is much more loftier than just learning about it!”.
I remember hearing the bombs exploding,the injured soldiers screaming,the cruelty of war roaring during our visit to Verdun’s Battlefield Museum,where the German-French slaughter took place a century ago.
“Long Leave the Army!";I kept repeating while they were all staring at me.“Leave with an‘EA’my dears!”.
Nothing could soften the pain that I felt during that unforgettable day except the fact that it is only a fading memory,and that Europe is now united,not only economically,but spiritually.It was an amazing experience to cross the French-German borders without even noticing that I was moving from one country to another.It was touching to see a part of Berlin’s Wall standing in front of La Moselle River in Schengen,symbolizing the will of people,breaking limits and pulling people closer after that it used to be a symbol of tyranny.
“History can’t just move backwards,but forwards too”,I said to my host family members; the future is also an essential part of history that is waiting to be written.This implies that we can still change history everywhere in the world. It is a shame to celebrate the first centenary of the World War One,while war still exists,more intense and more violent in the four corners of the world”.
They were kind enough to listen to my countless questions during my stay.They were also eager to discover Tunisia through me,and I didn't spare any effort to make them fall in love with my country that is yearning for freedom and dignity; to the extent that one of them told me when we were kissing good bye:”Thank you so much,it was as if I have spent a week in Tunisia!”.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About touringtheworld


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.