Existing Member?

Biking to Barcelona

Day 4 - The 50 that turned into the 70 Flers to Laval

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 31 July 2015 | Views [164]

JAEGERMEISTER every day keeps the pain at bay...Except today!
 
We were on the road in the pissing rain (again) by 7:40am hoping for breakie at McDonald's with the excuse that Sukhi needs protein...in the form of an egg McMuffin. The Kellys were in total agreement and thought it best to support her by joining in...Wtf..It didn't open until 9:30am! What kind of McD's are the French running here? So the only option was to share the last Snickers bar and pedal on.
 
We were lucky to find another voie verte taking us along a disused railway track. A beautiful path through forests with rivers running beneath the bridges we crossed - and it was an easy cycle, bonus! In need of caffeine we veered toward Dormont as directed by a lone walker in the woods. A friendly chap who wouldn't let us go until he gloated to Taitoko  about some rugby match France won against New Zealand, possibly in 2006...
 
After climbing up a steep windy hill to the centre ville because we were that desperate for coffee we savoured our first pastries and baguette sandwiches. Clearly no one is going to miss out on the food!
 
As we sat eating in the cold wind enjoying our monstrous breakie our body temperatures dropped and we popped into a nearby bar-cafe (awesome combo!) where we learned how to order normal sized coffee: cafe grande!
 
Dressed to impress in our muddy Lycra we soon became the talk of the place. It was full of local oldies who we like to think were impressed with the details of our adventure thanks to Sukhi's broken French! Probably they were just calling us crazy.
 
Tried to capture some action shots with Sukhi shouting 'Cycle SLOWLY...' to capture the BEST SHOT. Further down we spotted a very old and virtually disintegrated treehouse that Taitoko couldn't resist climbing inside. Sukhi the ever keen photographer with no inclination to die from a decrepit treehouse collapsing on her snapped away. Shiambi was too scared to climb in because of the SPIDERS! Probably there were massive ones inside. Like really massive.
 
After a few undesirable hills Shiambi's calf muscle started to flake out. Shoulda listened to Sukhi and lowered her seat. Just sayin'. Even after unloading some weight on the other two, the gammy leg is getting gammier.
 
We reached our destination after 70 miles in 5.5 hours ride time. Not too bad an effort in the end! Whose bag is the red wine in?
 
 

About tourdefriends


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.