Existing Member?

Adventures in Asia

If you're going to ride a carabo, wear long pants!

PHILIPPINES | Monday, 17 September 2007 | Views [936] | Comments [1]

If you could only see what I look like right now, you would be laughing at me for sure.  Me being of a blonde brain, thought that the sun here would be far less severe than it is in NZ.  Well that may be true to a certain extent, but as my permanent white bikini shows, you sure can get burnt here if you aren't careful.

Grace and her family were going to Sta Magdelena to do some family land business and decided that as it is the little baracay (Baracay is a famous beach in the Philippines) they had to take me to experience the paradise that is Filipino beaches.  Man am I glad I went!  We stopped at Matnog, the farthest point in the main island, where you catch the ferry to the South and had lunch with family there.  Lunch in the barrio (villages) near the sea consists of fish caught about half an hour before eating or sooner, rice and all manner of local produce.  This was eating with our hands and was followed by fresh Pili nut canday (Brecon and Cath will know what I'm talking about) and mangoes plucked from the tree at the back door.

Then it was on to Magdelena.  Grace's family have land there and she has told me a lot about it.  It is the most remote part of the Sorsogon province and it is an untouched beach paradise.  I had to walk all of 10 metres through the bush to get to some of the most amazing beaches I've ever seen.  The funny part was that there were 3 children at the land when I arrived.  by the time I put my bikini on, there were 10 and then walking down to the beach there were 20 plus.  Then as I was swimming children and teenagers with parents and family all came out to the beach to watch and look at the white person in the water.  I ended up befriending a large group of children who ranged from toddlers to 11year olds.  I showed them how to make sand castles out of plastic cups and they in turn presented me with amazing shells which I had not realised they were looking for for about an hour.  They were so gorgeous and were very excited seeing themselves in photos.  For the rest of the two days I was there, everytime I was on the beach or near the house, I would hear shouts of Ate Torie, Ate Torie.

Even on the beach, I had to have a bodyguard.  One of the locals was paid to watch me swim and make sure none of the local men (who were told off for yelling things at me) tried to get too close to me.  Then I had my pose of little children who insisted on looking after my 'slippers' while I swam.  In return, I provided them with entertainment galore.  Some of the local children presented me with a Carabo (water buffalo) to ride.  By God those things are prickly.  My legs are still itchy from the hairs.  I felt sorry for the poor thing having to have me on it's back.  I am a little heavier than the local children.

Then as a special treat, I was taken on a boat ride.  When I say boat, it was a long, narrow wooden boat with bamboo poles on either side to keep it afloat.  Again I was the entertainment as I rowed for quite a bit of the way.  the local fishermen were very impressed that the White girl was of some use.

As I got back onto the beach, I was presented with the hugest and most tasty crab I have ever eaten - and girls, this time I was not hungover and had all the tricky bits cracked for me with a rock.  Dinner was fresh fish galore eaten sans cutlery.  This is truly my new favourite way of eating.  The food tastes much better eaten with the hands.  Then we went night swimming which was just beautiful.

Yesterday morning I went snorkelling with Grace's friend who is a spear fisherman.  That was so cool.  The coral was spectacular and the fish were so varied and plentiful.

The other funny thing was that I was treated to Filipino barrio drive through...we stopped on the side of the road in the van to buy fried bananas straight from the pan and these little dumpling things filled with casava and banana.  Unlike Maccas, the take-out here is presented in banana leaves and is sooooo yummy! 

Speaking of food, I can't remember if I said that I had a night of street food which again entertained the locals as foreigners do not so street food.  i can now say I have eaten baloot (baby chicken inside an egg - the foulist thing I have ever eaten), fried pigs intestines, chicken intestines and pigs liver. 

Right I have been here forever and given that the internet guy and I are alone and he is trying to illicit all kinds of information about the boyfriend I have had to create so as to keep him at a distance, I must go before I give too many details away and am unable to remember anything about my made-up life.

Back to Manila tomorrow so i have plenty of Sorsogon stuff to organise.

Love to all

Torie

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

Comments

1

Hi there, nice to hear, you had so much fun at Sta.Magdalena, I am a native there as well, but i live here at Manila. Anyhoo, do you remember the beach that you went to? There's a beach there, called Badaling beach resort, and they have this awesome seawall some 100 meters from the shore!

  Fejie Apr 21, 2008 4:39 PM

About torie


Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.