Existing Member?

Bikinistry This journal, and the trips therein are dedicated to the beauty of the bike ministry!

My First Day

FRANCE | Monday, 3 September 2007 | Views [593] | Comments [9]

All set for my first day

All set for my first day

I woke up way too late, about 10:30 if I remember correctly. But hey, I'm on holiday right. Repacking was a very good idea, as I needed some space for some food, plus my bike would be on the road, so I needed to make sure that my panniers sat right.

Putting on the top that benji gave me for the trip made me feel a bit more like the cyclist I was going to turn into. My bike was where I had left it locked up in reception, and off I set, snapping the photo above just before.

I had little idea of which road to take, but thought that I should initially head to Guînes, with the intention of reaching a campsite near Saint-Omer. Not so!

I took the wrong road, and quite literally did a circle on myself, heading out of, and then back into Calais. Frustrated, I stopped off to have lunch at a restaurant. Le poisson du jour, and it was great, the waitress good looking. I smashed one of their salt pots though.

After that, there was nothing for it, but I had to circle back, almost back to the hotel to get onto the right road for Guînes. 8km already wasted, so I would not be able to make Saint-Omer today. I decided to head for Ardres.

The ride was not too taxing, not any real hills, and I stopped off at an Aldi, getting coffee, wine (A nice 2004 Saint-Emilion), sweets, and apples. Up the road I also stopped off at the local "Champion", the "SuperU" of the north I think. All was good shopping, and after a limited conversation with the petrol attendant (accompanied by many gestures), I even got some fuel for my stove. Early morning coffee here I come.

I pulled up into the campsite in mid-afternoon and set up camp. The tent went up like a beauty. Then I had peanut butter sandwiches and apples for tea, and settled down for an extremely enjoyable night drinking wine and reading "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich", a most absorbing book it must be said.


I had not travelled far at all, but no matter, for I was content!

Tags: Adventures

 

Comments

1

flipping kids, Tom. I like the bit about getting lost and arriving near the Hotel again!
Looking good. Amazed at how small all that packing looks. I thought you'd have a massive back-pack.

  Auntie Ben Sep 9, 2007 12:33 AM

2

'the waitress was good looking' sums up thomas vasey perfectly. x x x

  beth Sep 9, 2007 11:42 PM

3

Glad your enjoying your trip and wine. Have fun.x

  Lenny Sep 11, 2007 4:47 PM

4

You make me laugh, the picture of yur wine and coffe now my screen saver, wish I was as brave as you.

  Yamez Sep 11, 2007 7:09 PM

5

sounds a good trip so far, apart from the book. wish i was there, i would probably have to use my moped though.
have a great time

  faz Sep 11, 2007 8:51 PM

6

you keep going in circles, so the journey back should not be to long. eat plenty of pasta, so they say? keep up the journal. one last tip do a bit more map reading, just a sudgestion!!! have a nice time. I have got a flat tire on my bike or I would have come with you.

  paul Sep 13, 2007 7:03 PM

7

WO Jim!! Your doin great. I hope you've kept up your most valued tradition of daily shaving and that the stubble in your pictures is pretend. Hang on to your ego, its not the same round here without it. I Hope I can do some ministry with you when you get back before I start year 14. Enjoy the rest of your trip and I hope you get chance to use a computer so that you can leave another awesome journal of your trip, youve got me intersted in your progress by the way. Remember to Keep your heels down when your riding your horse (bike) and i'l see u soon. I'm looking forward to you telling me off for that big splash I made. see ya buddy.

  flippin Joel Sep 13, 2007 9:12 PM

8

Hi Man

Wow just seems like yesterday we were talking about traveling ... difference is you are doing it ... good on you ...... Think you may have inspired me and matt we are doin a short road trip to Antibes ... the girls are flyin of course ..... Love the Whisper lite Stove .. I see you held out for the best .... is it MXR ? you will have that beauty for years ...

Keep the peace .... reading by candlelight under the stars and Wine !!! ... I'm jealous ... get some Beaujolais's ...... brouilly 2005 it rocks .........

Love you son

Mark

  Wheeeely Sep 14, 2007 10:03 AM

9

From looking at the map on top of this page you were almost far away from the railway track. What would have been cool is if you cycled past the railway and raced an oncoming train. How did you manage to pay for all your equipments? Keep up with your journal.

  Robert Vasey Aug 14, 2008 8:33 PM

About tomvasey


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.