Existing Member?

Rousey & Kath's ripping adventure's Kath & Rousey on the trot around South East Asia!

Trekking Annapurna, Nepal

NEPAL | Tuesday, 12 June 2007 | Views [909] | Comments [1]

The Annapurna Circuit Trek

We fitted everything we needed into one bag and headed off for the trek. It took a full day of travelling on the bus, 10hours, just to reach the starting point. Yes Tommy and I were late and missed the first bus which got us stuck in traffic hence the 10 hours, he he! Ooops. Our guide was instantly impressed.

Well the photo's speak for themselves, the scenery is amazing! From green country side, rushing rivers, deserts, snow topped mountains to rainforrests at the end. The weather ranged from 35C at the beginning to -3C at the top overnight. The highest point we climbed was Thorong Pass which reached 5,416m above sea level higher than Everst Base Camp. The oxygen was apprx 64% of normal so we were travelling up hill at snail pace. Well O.K I was, Tommy probably still could have jogged it.

The people were smiley, the guest house owners spoke english, accomodation was only $1 a night the whole way but beer went from $2 and went up to $6 at the top. The fact that you got beer 10 days walk from the nearest road and up 5,000 metres above sea level is pretty amazing so $6 wasn't to bad. Check out what some of the porters carry up on their backs in our pics.

Some days we walked for as long as 11 hours but most of them were on average about 6. Tommy had blisters over the first half and I wore sandals the whole way down, so for 10 days.

We met so many great people on our trek, hi to you all!!! Except that Kennard guy! Nothing but trouble!! It was all his fault we got wasted at Gorrapani, pissed off our guide and had to fire him and finishing the trek alone!! he he.... Oh yeah with the help of Caz from Taz, Kerri the Kiwi and the god damn Israli's for providing the smoke. What a messy night. Had a ball though. Thanks guys!!

Final advice for anyone travelling to Nepal to Trek:

- Take enough money on your trek!!

- YOu don't need a guide on well worn tracks

- Take warm clothes!!

- Take sandals incase your shoes are just to painful

- Beat altitude by going slow, take the drugs with you and eat ginger, garlic, mint and lemon in everything you can to stop altitude.

This trek was a challenge but hey if I can do it anyone can. From young to old we saw all sorts on this trek!!

After the trek we chilled out at Pokhara by the lake for a week and then Chitwan National Park for a week. Jungle Safari's the whole bit! What an experience!! If the words 'man eating tiger on the loose' frieks you out, try hearing them after a 5 hour WALK, hungover, in the jungle it's loose in. To say the least the jeep safari was better!! Thanks Kerri!! 

Take care and get a dog up ya

Kath and Tommy

Tags: Mountains

Comments

1

WELL WELL WELL, G'day just finished reading and enjoying your travels great picks; you are both doing good! Alls quiet here which is good news. One week of work and im off for holidays AGAIN; bit hard to top[ yours !! Rather strange not hearing your voice son just keep both eyes open and specially the ones in the back of your head. Your Gdad turned 87 last Thursday and Hellies dad was 85 one week before. Lex has been in hospital twice in the last 2 months, briefly as they were reasonably minor problems. First time he had been since he was 4 years old! He also lost Rusty his Dawg on cracker night and ended his time on the Port road, knocked Pop about however he now has a new pup to train and keep him company JACK be his name.Now that i have locked this site into favorites you can expect to hear from us more often. Everyone here says a big Hello Hugs and Kisses (not to many Kath... kisses that is) and wish you both safe healthy and happy travels, Love ya a million dollars son Dad.

  david rouse Jun 18, 2007 9:11 PM

About tommygirl


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.