Existing Member?

On the way to the Canyon of Love

Charyn Canyon

KAZAKHSTAN | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [89] | Scholarship Entry

He stepped with all six legs, climbing the sand boulders to cross a mountain valley, woven by time with huge stones. He skirted floral forest on the way through thorny thickets. Sometimes wind threw him away, and he had to seek refuge behind some potbellied boulder. But he was adamant in his intention to cross the valley, and this confidence grew inside with each step. And he nearly crossed it, and desired end was about to close, and joy filled his gut, when I decided to step on him.
Yes, it was a bug. I smashed it with a shoe soles. However, I did not even notice. I was twenty-one and my name was Roma, and I was in love. And I have found my love in the same place where this beetle have found his death. This place is called - Charyn Canyon. Deeply weird name, I thought.
To understand the whole oddity of this name you probably should know Russian for a little. It was named so because in ancient times, when charter flights were made not by committed comfortable liners with one working toilet but by pterodactyls, there was a market in this place, according to legend. Yes, such an ordinary spontaneous market. However, the feature was the ability to find anything you could wish there - whether it would be lentil mixture or lichen shells, eggs of frimida or scales of dandruff snake. The only problem that bothered everyone - no one knew who owned the market. Everyone stepped across, inspired by shopping and longed to express their respects to the owner of this wonderful place. But no one has found the owner. And from the very dawn until sunset it was possible to hear the echo, which said... whose market !? In Russian it sounds like "??? ?????", very close to "?????".
Since then, much time has passed. The river and the wind hollowed out the canyon. They have created a museum of bizarre images, and then went away. Now it has become a place of pilgrimage for lost souls, like me, who were tired of big city life and the machine hum.
There was a daily bus to the Canyon. It get through the mountain valleys of Almaty on the dusty road for 4 hours. Inside the bus it was stuffy - air conditioner didn't work. But at that time I was not care, because on the nearby chair there sat a guy with whom, I thought, I fell in love. I stared at him all the way, and when we finally arrived, I decided to talk to him first.
-Hi,-i said. He smiled and answered. In 2 minutes we decided to cross the place together... The place, that became the Canyon of our love...

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About tomato


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kazakhstan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.