Existing Member?

Travel Scholarship 2012

My Scholarship entry - Learning How to...

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 15 October 2012 | Views [190] | Scholarship Entry

Basil: I’ve made stacks of video stories as part of my journalism degree but have never been commissioned. This opportunity would develop, improve and refine my filmmaking skills and be a catalyst for my professional career. Trent’s expertise and guidance turns this amazing experience into an invaluable one. We’re also huge fans of the Chasers and Review with Myles Barlow. My ambition is to make a difference; to make documentaries; to emulate my idols of Louis Theroux and Morgan Spurlock.

Tom: I aspire to be a travel presenter in the style of Michael Palin. To share the stories of the people and places I visit in an intelligent and considered way, whilst never taking myself too seriously. In 2008, I volunteered for 6 months in a favela in Recife, Brazil. This scholarship is a unique way to help others learn about these oft-misunderstood communities.

For our subject matter we took the most boring skill we could think of and turned it into an engaging story. If we can do that to an afternoon of knitting, imagine what we can do with two weeks in one of the world’s craziest cities. It’s not about ‘what’ but more about ‘who’ and ‘why’. For us, it’s about the people.

Tags: Travel Film Scholarship 2012

About tomandbasil

Princeton University Football Stadium after sneaking in for some midnight sports

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.