Existing Member?

Trashy Tales By Tom

The Beach and Desert

PERU | Wednesday, 21 February 2007 | Views [1169]

After leaving Ariquipa we headed of the the little beach called porta inca which was the main port during inca times. We camped on the beach which was fun and made a huge fire and a huge bucket of punch and had a great beach party. The next day we headed of to Nazca to see the amazing lines in the desert and the 200 - 300 year old mummies (check out the photos they are freaky!) No one knows who made the nazca lines or what they were used for but they are huge pictures made into the desert floor that can only be seen from a plane. We went up in these little 6 seat planes which were very rough due to the hot thermal winds coming from the desert. It was a real rush when the pilot thought he would impress the ladys by doing some dives and tight corners. (I  dont think the girls were impressed) luckly no one was sick but we all felt a bit funny in the tummy afterwards. The next day we left Nazca to go to Huacachina which is an oasis in the desert that has been expanded to form a big lake which is quite surreal to look at. From here we jumped into some dune buggys and headed out for a day of sandboarding and dune buggying. This was some of the best fun so far on the trip. We would take the buggys up to the top of these huge sand dunes which were probabaly 200-300 meters high then jump on sand boards and go flying down them so fast that your eyes watered. You could not help screaming which meant that you coped a mouthfull of sand if you went over a jump or lump in the sand. We did this until the sun started to go down then we did one last sand board into our camp for the night. The people who do the dune buggy tours then made us pisco sours (the worst and most alcoholic drink in the world) and a bbq then we all went to sleep under the stars. It was a great feeling looking up at all the stars without any light polution to ruin them. The next day we started our final leg of the tour towards Lima.

Tags: Adrenaline

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.