Existing Member?

The Rapturous Experience

The Rapture of Looking Up

AUSTRIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [172] | Scholarship Entry

The bustling, yet tranquil landscape had sharpened all of my senses. The crisp, dry wind whipped past my face, and changed its direction with calm natural spontaneity. It whirred apace with such conviction and yet it had no destination. It snaked in and chilled the exposed skin between my glove and the sleeve of my parka.
I eased my weight forward but hesitated. The fresh snow under my skis felt precarious and threatened to give way under my body weight although the solid rock foundation of the mountain slope reassured me of a firm grounding. A skier rushed past my left side — he raced towards the faint orange glow of the village in the valley. I heard him call out to me as he passed and although I heard the words I didn’t register the message.
After steadying my footing, I stood still for several timeless moments, experiencing the dusk mature into evening. I watched intently as the grey composition of the vast alpine view grew darker. I could feel the hair on my body stand on end underneath my four layers of clothing. Complete rapture. My camera remained untouched in my bag. No photograph or video could have captured this moment, and to try would have been to grasp too hard and let it slip through my fingers.
The grumble and the lights of a distant snowmobile suddenly brought me back to reality. Smoothly, I dove down the slope, zigzagging my way towards the village, still somewhat dazed by the fervor of feeling I experienced up on mountain. Much like as child I had felt part of my surroundings, and in no way a mere onlooker of nature’s spectacle.
I slid into the village, hurled my skis over my shoulder and trudged back towards the chalet on the other side of the village. The excited voices of people filled the village streets, reveling in the place around them. I couldn’t help but imagine life at home as people trudge through life, and engrossed themselves in celebrity scandal and the incessant previews for the upcoming sports fixtures. I wished they knew what they were missing. However I knew, I would never forget that evening when I finally looked up.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About tolookup


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.