Existing Member?

Holidaying in the New World

Himalayas

INDIA | Saturday, 21 March 2009 | Views [260]

I'm in Rishikesh, just below the Himalayas. It's bloody raining! This is a very holy place, with many ashrams and temples. it is also the point in which the river ganges forms from the himalayas. it is very touristy because this is the place visited by the Beatles in 1968. its strange to think how much tourism can be created from such a short trip 40 years ago.

Before arriving here, i spent a few days in Jaipur. everyone in this city claims to have some kind of telepathy or voodoo powers. one character told me to be careful around water, and that my future lay in a business partnership overseas. as much as you don't want to believe it, there is a small part in the back of your mind that questions it. as a result i am being more cautious than usual around water (i am staying by a rapid moving river).


i had an amazing rickshaw driver though. he looked like an indian version of norman cook, but with an added nike earring. i was with him on st. paddy's day and it turned out he was an alcoholic. very reassuring news!

Was walking down the alley of my guest house when who did i see walking towards me? only bloody ruby clift! what a small world. spent a nice day with her and her boyf on the river beach.

am in Dharmasala, in Himachal Pradesh. this is the home of the dali lahma in exile. im staying in an ashram in the woods. have just met an australian buddhist monk that lives here. he looks such a peaceful guy until he opens his mouth, and a course australian accent emerges.


i was wrong about about the australian monk, what a lovely man! i had a brilliant conversation with him. turns out his father is a large, labouring beer lout. i'd love to be a fly on the wall at one of their family getogethers. i am yet again travelling with two italians. we are staying in a beautiful ashram amongst the mountain woodland. we are the only non-buddhists staying.


have just found out have an indian pop star moving in next door in london! that should be interesting.

Mcleod Ganj is my favourit place in india based on expectations. the only downside is when my trave companion starts going on about nostradamus and how he predicted hitler and franco.

am in manali at the moment, staying with a new zealand guy who looked like superhans

About tog


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.