Existing Member?

Perdido (Lost in Peru) Notes when I can get them up, on trip to South America

17.10 Friday. Huancayo to Huancavelica

PERU | Monday, 3 November 2008 | Views [264]

17.10 Friday.  Huancayo to Huancavelica

Early start and away to Huancavelica.  Didn´t get much sleep because my alarm is not working so from about 2am on im looking at my watch every  quarter hour or sometimes every few minutes.  Maybe 10 hours to Huancavelica.  Dropped off on the edge of town and walked in.  Amazing town in the hollow between  four high peaks.  Very tiring walking here and I find out later that we are at 3500meters.  I have to rest half way along the street.

After deciding a path I was taking was not a good one and turning to retreat. I got set upon by about six dogs.  Was a stalemate for a while.  I had to face them to keep at bay and not jumping up and snapping but couldn´t retreat because they would at me again.  Took about 5 minutes for them to settle and me to slowly back track.

  While asking for directions  for a hotel a local offers to help me find one and takes me to a couple of places. vHis name is Angel.  Fitting.  WE arrange to meet again afterwards and we bumped into eadh other in the evening and he took me to a place for a decent meal.  It was 10 soles for the two of us.  A huge bowl of soup with big pieces of chicken and a bowl of toasted corn kernels. Good.  Later we wend for a beer and listened to some latin American muso´s on local instruments.  My choice. He wanted to go to the place with rock and roll.

18-10-08 Saturday.

I could have stayed at Huancavelica longer but im abit worried about how long the next legs will take.  There is no direct bus to Ayucucho .  I have to go to Rumachaca and then wait for some transport from there on a different road to Ayucucho.  The pass to Rumuchaca must have been high.  No vegetation, like a moonscape then snow covered hills and small buildings some herds of llamas or alpacas. 

About tobybott


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.