Existing Member?

Tegan & Ingrid's world adventure

Donkeys and Cacti

ARGENTINA | Tuesday, 28 February 2012 | Views [1390]

Donkeys and Cacti - Roadtrip to Cachi

Donkeys and Cacti - Roadtrip to Cachi

After our first of many overnight buses throughout South America we arrived in the city of Cordoba. From what we’d read about the town and region it seemed like a good place to stop for a couple of nights to break up the journey to where we really wanted to go, that being north-western Argentina. Cordoba is, how do I put this, kind of boring. It’s a University town in central Argentina, not really known for amazing architecture, culture or nightlife. In fact after speaking with a few locals the only thing to really see in town is the Jesuit Quarter of the city, which just happened to be closed while we were in town. So after a few hours of meaninglessly wandering around the city, not really seeing all that much, we figured we’d seen pretty much all of what Cordoba had to offer, so we decided that we would travel out into the surrounding countryside for the remainder of our time in Cordoba. We took, pretty randomly, a couple of super-cheap local buses out of Cordoba (I’m talking an hour’s ride for about $2each) and eventually found ourselves on the side of the road in the tiny town of Tanti.

It was a pretty surreal feeling, foreign country, foreign language and in what seemed like the middle of nowhere with no clue where to go – I loved it. We exercised as much Spanish as we could remember and through a couple of conversations with the Tanti locals, and also utilising some wifi when we could, we learnt of a fantastic stream that flows nearby the town with excellent swimming holes. It was a wonderful afternoon of strolling along the stream until we found the perfect spot, setting out a towel and soaking in the Argentine sun, then going for a nice dip to cool off (which was definitely needed – the South American sun is just as, if not harsher than the Australian sun).  As the afternoon wore on we noticed the sky starting to change colour slightly. I noticed that not too far away the clouds we looking very dark, heavy and ominous. The wind had also picked up and cooled down. We thought it best to start the journey back to Cordoba. It took us a couple of hours to get back and we were lucky enough to not encounter any rain while we did. Once we arrived in Cordoba however, it was apparent that we had been much luckier than first thought. The town resembled a scene straight out of a disaster film – it was like we were on the set of ‘Twister’. Streets were either littered with debris, blocked or flooded, Billboards were hanging from their stilts and thirty meter tall palm trees lay across crumbled fences. Apparently we had missed the storm of the decade by around one hour. We couldn’t believe it – we had only been 50kms away and had not even felt a single drop. The deluge really sunk in when we got back to our room and found it flooded and half our gear soaked. Obviously closed windows were no match for this storm. Luckily none of our gear was damaged beyond repair and after a 24hr drying session everything was once again packed for another overnight bus ride to the north-western Argentine town of Salta.

We instantly liked Salta. A medium sized city nestled in between the mountains and full of culture. Wandering the city we found walking streets littered with retail therapy outlets, countless café’s and restaurants dishing up some of the finest Empanadas, Tomales, Humitas and Parrilla meat we’ve had, many amazing Spanish style Churches and a central plaza lined with museums and historic colonial buildings. It also was a little more special to us because it was the first time we had arrived in a new town with nothing planned or booked, we simply played it by ear and found a pretty cool little hostel to stay in with staff that we super helpful with giving us suggestions for our stay.

Oh, I almost forgot, Salta also has a look-out complex on top of its nearby San Bernardo Mountain. It has a Gondola to the top which only costs $5ea, but what interested me a little more were the 1070 steps to the top that most of the locals utilise for their daily workouts. Ingrid accompanied me the first time we scaled the steps together, but said once was enough. I on the other hand, having not had any kind of competitive sport or gym activities in over 7 months was craving a challenge and so climbed the steps on a few more occasions trying to beat my previous times. It made me realise how much I was missing that.

Somehow we stumbled across a really beautiful B&B in the town of Cerrillos, about 20kms outside of Salta, and decided to splurge and have a little bit of luxury for a few days. Most of our time in Cerrillos involved lazing around the pool, reading, catching up on this blog and heading into town for some seriously good local food. But the highlight of our stay would have to have been when ‘Corso’ came to town. ‘Corso’ is the North-western Argentine equivalent to Carnivale, and it was our first time witnessing the party-like atmosphere. The centre of town was completely blocked off – the streets were barricaded and you could not even see in. The only way in was through one of the old ladies collecting 10 Pesos per person. Once you walked through the gate you were greeted with a face-full of white foam that all the children of the town were coating each other with – if you were a manufacturer of these foam cans this would be your biggest profit day of the year for sure!  After battling our way through the crowds of kids with foam, trying frantically to protect the camera but still having mad fun all the while, we arrived at the middle of the action. The main street of the town had been converted into a parade avenue and at around 11pm the parade started. Dance crews, Percussion troops, Puppeteers and traditionally clad locals paraded through the town in what seemed like a never ending stream of festival goers. We managed to last until around 1.30am before starting to pass out in our chairs from fatigue so we called it a night. The next day we learnt that the parade in fact did not finish until around 3.30am! Quite amazing for such a small town of only around 3000 people.

We moved back into Salta after our brief stay in luxury and back to the same funky hostel. It just so happened to coincide with Superbowl and so we all organised a home cooked Parrilla (Argentine BBQ) and got to know a great bloke from Seattle, Jason, who tried his best to educate us on the finer (basic) points of American Football. Turned out that Jason was heading to a couple of nearby towns that we had also planned to visit. We had booked a rental car for the next day and offered a spare seat to him so that it would save him getting the 6am bus. And so we inherited another traveller on our adventure.

First stop on our road trip of Salta (the state is also called Salta of which the city of Salta is the capital) was Cachi. Cachi is a cool little village at the base of the Andes, however the road to get there is even more memorable. As you turn off the main highway and head towards Cachi, you leave the lush Tobacco plains of the Salta basin behind and start to climb. The landscape changes dramatically fast as it turns from Jungle-like greenery to Red rocked Mountains. You climb around 2500 meters quite quickly; driving through flooded roads half washed away by descending waters, passing others who have driven through said waters a little too slowly and have become bogged. Along the way you are blessed with many beautiful views and heaps of wildlife; Mountain Goats, Condors and Wild Cattle everywhere you look. To describe how we all felt accurately I have to quote our Seattle friend, “Nature. F*ck yeah.”
Eventually we reach the top where we encounter a stunning view of the road we have just climbed and also the smallest Chapel I have ever seen, barely big enough to house a Priest and a single Church goer. Situated on the edge of the descent I guess it is the last chance the highly religious have to pray for a safe trip down the mountain. As we continue, the landscape has now become a vast plateau at 3500m above sea-level, littered with 8 meter tall Cacti and wild Donkeys (very cute).  After another half an hour of driving we arrive in Cachi and head straight up to the Cachi Cemetery situated on a hill just out of town where we are greeted with yet another amazing display of nature, this time an electrical storm in the mountains to not just the East, but the West as well. Truly magical.

After a night in Cachi, and almost free lodging (we found an open hostel and set up shop on some spare bunks, but there was no one working there in sight, and it remained that way all night and morning – we only noticed as leaving that you needed to check in up the road at the local café and being the honest people we are decided to play the good karma card and pay) we hit the road again heading for Cafayate. Good thing we checked with the local tourist office about the state of the roads because apparently the road from Cachi to Cafayate was completely closed due to the flooding, so we actually needed to backtrack practically all the way to Salta before heading towards Cafayate. No real complains from any of the three of us, remembering how amazing the drive had been. The road to Cafayate held its own magical moments as well. The road follows a torrential river snaking through a moon-like landscape of Red Mountains. The highlight for me being when we stopped from a walk through La Garganta del Diablo, a canyon-like cave naturally cut out of the side of a mountain by rain fall.

Cafayate itself is really cosy. A little bigger and more developed than Cachi, and littered with Bodega’s (Wineries) which we spent an afternoon sampling. The region is known for its Torrontes grapes – a really nice aromatic white wine that even the most religious red wine drinker (AKA Ingrid) had to admit tasted amazing.
Just outside of Cafayate are the pre-Inca ruins of Quilmes. It was simply amazing walking through this labyrinth of low lying walls which once was a thriving city at the base of the Andes.

The next day it was back to Salta, and goodbye to our mate Jason, who was continuing south to Mendoza. So we drove back through the amazing scenery once again and arrived in Salta for the third time. This time for only a brief stay before we were to board the longest bus ride we’ve ever had. A 26hr trip from Salta to Puerto Iguazu, the Argentinean home of the famous Iguazu Falls.

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.