Existing Member?

Tegan & Ingrid's world adventure

“Bjork’s not the only weird thing about this place…”

ICELAND | Sunday, 11 December 2011 | Views [3788] | Comments [4]

Not sunset - more like 1.30pm in Reykjanes

Not sunset - more like 1.30pm in Reykjanes

There’s always a strange feeling you get in your gut when you board a plane belonging to an airline you’ve never heard of, and I had plenty of it stepping on to our Icelandic Air flight to Reykjavik. It may have been a combination of factors influencing my nervousness; the creepy old flight attendants on our plane, the fact that there are a heck of a lot of (active) volcanoes in Iceland and that weird and freaky people come from there (the only Icelandic person I knew of was Bjork). However the Butterflies were soon put to rest, our eyes widened and our jaws seemed to remain permanently dropped for the next six days.  As it turns out Iceland is now our new favourite visited destination on this adventure!

Iceland is about half the size of the state of Victoria, and is situated roughly half way between the UK and Greenland, making it fairly remote. The earliest known inhabitants in Iceland date back to around 900AD when Norwegian Vikings started settling there. As to why they decided it would be a good place to set up shop remains a mystery to me. I’ll explain why. Iceland is relatively young. The entire country is a result of underwater volcanic activity – eruption after eruption eventually breaking the ocean surface and creating what we see today. So, as the country is entirely made up of volcanic rock, pretty much nothing can grow there except for an ever spreading carpet of Moss. Because of this, it is near impossible to raise any large quantity of Cattle, Sheep, Vegetables or Grains. In fact, when you travel through the country side the only life you see is Icelandic Horses (but I will come to that later). If the Galapagos Islands are a clue into the mystery of Evolution, Iceland is pretty much an open book on how the land on our Earth began. However, despite the cons of living in such a country, the Vikings settled (or perhaps they’d just had enough rowing). Over the next millennium and a century the culture of Iceland was moulded and formed into what it is today – a very unique and strange yet wonderfully cosy way of living, eating and conversing that, along with the Moonlike landscape, make this country the most fascinating I have ever stepped foot upon.

We arrived in Iceland very excited to see and experience as much as this mysterious country had to offer. However, with only limited time in Iceland - 5 nights - we needed to carefully plan our stay, about 3 weeks would be sufficient to explore most of the country’s more remote regions as well as the Reykjavik area. (I should point out that at this point in our journey I had let my lazy streak get the better of me once again, and to get me more involved Ingrid gave me the challenge of being sole organiser of the next 2 weeks after leaving Paris – A role I was both dreading and excited about.) We found a fantastic apartment in a great location and with a stunning view of Reykjavik and booked 4 nights there, leaving our final night available to change up the scenery if we wished after we had explored the country a little. The apartment was so much better and bigger than we had expected for such a reasonable price. Huge open plan Kitchen, Meals and Living area, beautiful Bedroom with one of the most comfy beds we’d had in a long time and a great shower (a combination of good pressure, even spray, reliable hot water and well maintained doors is a rarity while backpacking). The apartment had only one downside (well, at the time we thought it was just our room, but as it turns out all of Iceland has this common problem), the hot water absolutely STANK! It was like rotten eggs had been thrown in the water supply. However, this is not a result of misplaced poultry ovulations. Iceland is a major geothermal hot spot due to the volcanic activity, and so the geothermal heat is used to heat the water supply – while this is an amazingly clean and efficient way of heating, it also means that the water inherits the potent Sulphur odour which is a little harsh on the nose to say the least.

During our first full day we decided to stay in Reykjavik and explore the nation’s capital. The city is so quaint and wonderful with a combination of modern architecture and traditional sea shanty-like houses lining the many one way streets which are notoriously easy to get lost driving around in – something we knew all too well after a couple of days. While not very populated (~200,000 people) Reykjavik is quite spread out and accounts for roughly two thirds of Iceland’s total inhabitants. Most of our day was spent exploring the shopping streets of the city, dashing from one shop to the next trying to keep the time we spent in the Artic gale blowing through to a minimum. Some of the retail stores were amazing. Traditional Viking Ornaments, locally hand-made Jewellery and a Burlesque style retro Opp Shop (which was awesome) to name a few. We had heard that Reykjavik’s sea food was some of the best in Europe so we headed to a relatively new but very cool little Icelandic Fish ‘n Chip shop. I tell you, it was some of the most gourmet Fish ‘n Chips I’ve ever experienced. But it was simply delicious.

While on the subject of Icelandic cuisine, I’ll talk briefly about some of the quite ‘unique’ fare available for consumption. As I mentioned earlier, with little availability to cattle, etc, the Icelandic people made do with whatever meat was available. To this day you can still sample the same style food as the original Vikings had eaten. Whale, Shark, Puffin (small Penguin-like sea bird) and various animal Heads are among some of the more strange dishes. We did sample a few. The weirdest would have to have been Svith which is smoked Sheep’s Head. It was nice, but I won’t be purchasing it again. Harkarl would definitely be the most disgusting though and we didn’t dare try it. Shark that has been ‘putrefied’ in sand and then slightly pickled – usually served cold with a shot of what the locals refer to as ‘Black Death’, an extremely strong local spirit (think highly concentrated Jagermeister).

That night we joined a Northern lights tour to go on a hunt for the impressive Aurora Borealis. The venture was sadly unsuccessful. However, we decided the best way to see the sights would be to hire a car for our time here – pretty cheap as it turns out. We took another trip on our own into the Iceland countryside to try spot the lights on our own. This proved much more successful. We were blessed with a beautiful green light across the sky which was just magical. Something we totally did not expect was an alien-like beam shinning straight up into the sky out of Reykjavik. It seriously looked like something out of Independence Day! This beam is called the ‘Peace Tower’. It was a concept created by Yoko Ono and will shine into the sky for all to see that this is a country of peace – it really is something else!

Day 2 saw us take an amazingly scenic drive around the south western peninsula of Reykjanes. We drove through lush green moss covered lava fields, mountainous lakes and pristine untouched coastline. The drive also took us to visit a symbolic bridge which represents the meeting of the Asian and American Tectonic (continental) plates (the source of all of Iceland’s Volcanic activity), and also some rather smelly mud hot springs. This fantastic day was perfectly capped off with a visit to the famous Blue Lagoon. A natural hot spring that attracts visitors from all over the world to bathe and relax in its healing waters. The pools were created 40 or so years ago when a nearby Geothermal Power plant was built. Two thousand meter deep bores were dug into the earth to vent the hot steam up to the surface to drive the plants turbines. What they did not expect was that the steam would then settle and create these incredible sky blue coloured lagoons, at a very nice bathing temperature of 38 degrees. The blue colour is a result of the high concentration of Silica in the water – which also has amazing cleansing and healing properties making this place not just relaxing but quite beneficial on the body.

The next day we took a self-guided tour of the ‘Golden Circle’ region. A famous tourist route, visiting some of Iceland’s most beautiful natural wonders. First stop was an ancient volcanic crater with jet black water due to the colour of the volcanic rock, quite eerie. We travelled on to Gullfoss Falls, the most powerful in Europe, and then to Geysir. Geysir is a Geyser (funnily enough), but is actually the ‘original’ Geyser of which the phenomenon got its name (Geysir quite literally meaning something which shoots into the air). This natural steam burst has actually been attracting tourists (mainly from Europe) since the 1600’s! Our final stop was at Þingvellir National Park (pronounced Thingvelleer), known for Alþingi (Iceland’s first Parliament). Established in 930AD, this rock formation (which amazingly lies directly on the border of the Asian and American Tectonic plates) was used by the Icelandic Vikings as a gathering place for the nation’s state representatives to discuss issues and conduct trials. Interestingly, the governing body would give the rulings; however it was the responsibility of the Prosecuting party to enforce it, often resulting in yet another long and cold journey back to Þingvellir.

As mentioned before, our final night was not booked, so I thought a night spent in a nice cabin somewhere was in order. We found a beautiful little cabin on the shore of a large Fjord and stayed there the night. It was just so surreal. There was a hot tub on the balcony and while relaxing in it, it began to snow – so amazing! The next morning there was a foot deep layer of powdered snow covering the country, which made the drive to the airport a lot of fun.

Quite reluctantly (we wanted to stay) we boarded our next flight. Next stop New York City – albeit quite briefly. Just a quick overnight stop on the way to Montreal, Canada.

Comments

1

Hey,

We really liked your post and decided to feature it on the WorldNomads Adventures homepage so that other travellers can enjoy it too.

Happy Travels!
Kate

  Kate Hoffman Jan 9, 2012 9:22 AM

2

Hi, I know I'm a bit late with this comment, but the water doesn't stink like that in north Iceland, just in case you ever visit Iceland again. ;) Try visiting Akureyri, It doesn't stink as much there. :D

  Heiðrún Jan 6, 2013 10:48 AM

3

You obvously haven't done your homerwork. First off people started settling here because of shortage of land in other nordic countries. Also ppl started settling here because of many other reasons. Some were murderers and criminals on the run and others heard myths about the country that just were not true. Well and the water doesn't stink in all parts of the country. And there are more sheep in the country than people. You just didn't see any cause you were here in winter and most of them have been herded inside and the few that they didn't get are up in the mountains most likely. But i don't think just you are to blame cause i think many(especially middle aged and up) icelanders aren't very good at explaining things in english although they speek it well. And also you never left the southern regeon and people that have lived their whole lives in reykjavík seem to often not know to many things about the rest of iceland and seem ignorant. I mean ive heard ppl from there think that the residence of the westfjords(the regeon where i live) is just about maybe thousand ppl but in truth there are about 600-700 ppl that live in just my town alone and there are about 2600 ppl that live in the largest town wich is Ísafjörður. Sorry if i have criticised you to much. I just felt these things should be clear. And sorry if my english isn't to good :P

  A native icelander Jan 6, 2013 2:19 PM

4

Oh and i forgot to mention that there are around 330.000 ppl in iceland

  A native icelander Jan 6, 2013 2:20 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Iceland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.