Existing Member?

Life As We Live It

The last of our NZ adventures...

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 27 January 2006 | Views [814]

Hello again!!

I've just returned from an AMAZING sun-burn/frekle session in one of our favorite places in NZ so far...Queenstown.  More on this later.

Julia and I left Christchurch, having not done TOO much, but enjoyed our stay.  We were off on the highly recommended Tranz-Alpine train trip through Arthur's Pass and past some of the "worlds most gorgeous scenery".  Kind of an opinion thing I'd assume...I'd say some of the beaches we've been on have had some of the best 'scenery' haha.  Anyway...the train ride did provide some 'breath-taking' scenery...and as much as it was 'meant to be GORGEOUS' (as the POMEs say)...it was.  We then had a lng bus ride to Fox Glacier along the west coast of the south island.  The best thing of this trip was the funky bus driver who must have really been a radio DJ in diguise.  He talked non-stop...used 'YEAH' like the americans girly girls use the word 'LIKE'...only about 20% comprehensible to us despite the fact that he was speaking english...but kept us thouroughly entertained!!  We decided to go to Fox Glacier rather than the more popular Franz Joseph for just that reason...less popular means fewer tourists.  We had to walk about 1km to our hostel, which was a converted house with only 2 other couples staying there (thank heaven as the main hostel was packed with teenie boppers all basking in their worldly travel knowledge and hippiness of their life-choices...getting tired of that kind of attitude you might guess).  Anyway...Julia and I cooked up a MEAN meal of roasted leg of lamb, chicken, roast potatoes I've FINALLY learned how to make properly (thanks to Simon in the Cooks who let me taste one of his tasty potatoey morsels;), had some nice cheap NZ wine and a good chat followed by a leisurely walk, a toss of a stray rugby ball in the back yard, and more admiring of the mountainous scenery.  We woke early, both with exceptionally sore backs from a wierd bed, and started a day of 25km walking.  First we walked to a lake (forget the name) in which you see some special views of the snow mountains reflecting in it.  We tried to feed some 3 foot tuna eels we found under a dock pieces of our granola bar...I left a tasty treat in the bush a short ways off the track...and we tried to avoid the masses of Japanese tourists there.  A nice walk through pasture, bush, and a fortunate ride home from some friendly Kiwis.  We were about to fake a limp to get a sympathy ride...but didn't need to.  Our walk continued up to Fax Glacier, about 10km away.  We didn't want to spend the money to either get a heli-tour, or a guided walk on a big ice-cube...being Canadians and all...so we just stared, and tried to justify the long walk as a warm up to our upcoming 5 day hike on the Routeburn. 

We left Fox on a typically prolonged NZ bus trip.  They seem to have a system going on of taking twice as long to get anywhere as it would NORMALLY take if you just drove straight...but they stop at every little look-out and shop, forcing us helpless tourists to spend money needlessly.  Clever people.  Anyway...we arrived in Queenstown for1.5 days before our hike began...enough time to get prepared and to check the place out.  By that...I mean that Julia had time to find every chocolate store and acquire a favorite fudge factory, we visited nearly every shop and contemplated many gifts (none of which we could afford...but let it be known that we were thinking of all of you haha)...especially the nice greenstone jewellery and all blacks apparel...and really developed a good liking of the place.  We were surprised and happy to meet up with our american friend Gordie who we met in the Cook islands.  He and his buds were in town on their way to a few hikes...so with them and 2 nice German ladies (Krista and Simona) we met at our hostel...we had a pub meal and beer one night. 

All packed up for our trek, equiped with plenty of food and clothing, but only with our VERY thin sleepng bags...we were off to hike one of the GREAT WALKS...the Routeburn.  The first day consisted of a neat bus ride there...again with views so stunning they're becomming boring, and a BEAUTIFUL day of hiking.  After a few hours, Julia and I shed our packs at the first hut and took a side hike through some mountain valley into a fern gulley which had several minor river crossings to negotiate (river crossings involve crossing a river by foot...no bridge).  I carried Julia over the first one...but she was good to go after that, and we had a nice time.  Hiking for a few more hours, we stoped to see the scenery which we'll share with you as soon as we get more pictures transferred to CD, we built another small inukshuk, and arrived at a VERY scenic lodge spot with 50 guests (full-house) called Routeburn Falls hut (because of the nearby falls).  The facilities consist of a kitchen with water (unpurified but cleaner than any bottled water!!) and gas stoves.  We ate our freeze dried meals and managed to squander some left over chocolate pudding from some nice ladies who noticed us drooling in their direction.  Bed was an early event after the long hike...and in cabins of 25, there was a symphony of snorers!!!  We slept in little nooks of 4 bunks, but Julia swears her plywood divider was shaking from the guy next to her...and consequently she slept little.  With a forecast of rain the next afternoon...we rose at 6am to start our hike.  With a meal of poridge and granola bars...we were off for an 8 hour day with mountain passes, forest walk...and you guessed it...more 'gorgeous' views.  The clouds did roll in, hiding much of the what would have been better views...but the rain didn't come.  Finally arriving at McKenzie hut...situated on a gorgeous green mountain lake that seemed to mimic the northen lights with the wind breezing over its surface...we did much of the same as the night before.  Of course...no swimming again here as the water is absolutely frigid...we met some very nice people including a Canadian/Swede girl named Maria, an English couple (Rob and Sam), and a very funny DOC Warden named Clyve Rule.  He gave us the pessimistic forecast f nothing but rain for the next week...but warmed us with laughter!  Our third day was a short one...only 3 hours of hiking in the drizzle to Howden Hut where Julia and I were joined only by one other hiker...a nice German guy named Achim.  We lit a coal fire and played cards, chatted, ate very little for supper, and slept long and early (after a wee nap and read). 

Julia and I had an early 1hr hike to our pick up point called 'The Divide' where we were collected by the kayaking company who took us on a cool trip in MIlford Sound.  We were re-united with our new friend Maira...and had a cool day, starting with low cloud cover making Milford seem eerily haunted.  Our crazy guide with a funny lisp took us around to some 180m waterfalls, up close and personal with some fur seals, a few VERY rare penguins, and some Maori legends of the creation of the sound.  The only irritation were the blackflies...but with the sun coming out later on and the wind helping to blow us back to the start...we double kayaked our way past more seals and a pod of HUGE bottlenose dolphins (maybe 3.5-4m long!!) which swam right under us!!  It was a special experience!!  We proceeded to Milford lodge for our first of 2 nights...met our new roomies who were a young and very nice couple from Oz.,..named Jason and Belinda.  Unfortunately...Milford had NO shops to speak of, so we were forced to eat plain pasta that we were able to buy from the front desk for HUGE prices.  Our second day consisted of not much but resting and reading.  we had a short walk, but the rain, blackflies and tired muscles kept us inside.  We had a few drinks with our bunk-mates that night...but did very little else.  If you ever travel to Milford sound...don't stay long, bring all your own stuff, do the kayaking...and remember bug spray!!  We woke to a BEAUTIFUL and unforcasted sunny day...and were well rested for our final 2 days of hiking on the Caples trail.  A day filled with spectacular views...more than making up for the days of cloud...we hiked a hard hike for about 3 hours up and down mountain sides...lots of scrambling up steep passes...and very tiring!  We had 5 more hours of downhill...which we actually found harder than the up (on our joints at least) over some very rooty terrain.  We arrived to a full house at the first upper capples hut...16 people jammed into 4 bunks of 4 beds.  That meant we got to sleep with some very cool and funny Brits named Catalina and Jason.  As everyone went to bed early (nothing to do outside with the millions of blackflies...really the only bug we've encountered here)...we 4 stayed on our top bunk and whispered and giggled like scool kids...farted and swore a bit for flavour...but had a good laugh followed by a horrible sleep!!

Our second day...gorgeous again...was all we could stand of hiking!!  Julia had an injured left leg, my ankle, and too many km to the finish...despite some more amazing nature and views.  We hiked hard to get to our ferry pick-up on time, had a nice lie-down on a deserted pier, a FAST boat ride to our shuttle...and a welcome shuttle back to civilization!  I'm not sure that we'll be up for our 21 day hike in Nepal...it just doesn't turn our cranks to work that hard to see yet more scenery...we'd rather be in a boat, plane, the back of a camel...whatever, just not killing ourselves hahaha...lazy...no, but one of those times where you discover something about yourself.  Having said that...the hikes were amazing and I'd recommend them to anyone who can take a bit of physical work!

SO...back in our favorite queenstown, filled with activities, people, shops, and fun stuff.  We arrived back in time to get to a super 14 pre-season match between Anton Olivers Otago Highlanders and the Waikado Cheifs.  Gorgeous field with a surreal backdrop of jagged mountains...I was in heaven with my favorite person by my side, a 6-pack, and a top level rugby game (although the rugby was a little rusty I think!).  What a day...what a week!!!!

We spent today organizing Australia on our for once free-e-mail at the hostel we're at.  We got books from a second hand store, had pizza hut and bought some chicken and stuffing to cook tonight...and had a beautiful few hours on the beach where it got hot enough even for Julia to venture into the cold lake for a refreshing dip.  This town is a happening place...on the touristy side of things...but still amazing!!  We leave to Australia tomorrow...to Cairns for a scuba/sailing experience...then off to (hopefully) see my main man Dan (and Peta) in Adelaide!!

I hope you're all well and this update isn't too long and boring!!  Love NZ...wish we had more $ while here...but we've done it in style all the same!!

Til we meet again in the world of cyber...be well!

Tyler

Tags: Adventures

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.