Existing Member?

Its Been a Long Time Coming

Enough is Enough

PORTUGAL | Monday, 16 August 2010 | Views [343] | Comments [1]

Normal 0 21

I was woken up at 9:30 in the morning, which in Barcelona is just several hours after everyone in the hostel falls asleep, by a light knocking on the door. Thankfully I was on the top bunk so the obligation to answer it was on one of the 6 sleeping on the bottom bunks. I usually don’t wake up to such quiet noises, especially after two months of living with many complete strangers with every type of sleeping habit, but at the present time my subconscious was playing out a horribly boring ¨Who Done It?¨ mystery dream where I was the lead investigator of an investigation going nowhere. So needless to say I was looking for an excuse to wake up. THUD THUD THUD!!! Bottom bunk was now called to action. It is an odd sensation to wake up to twelve equally perturbed people as yourself glaring in the same direction waiting to throw the first stone at the person to enter the door.

¨Hi!¨ In way to happy of an Australian voice for it being so early, ¨Is Michigan here?¨

¨Crap!¨ Laying in my boxers on a blanket less bed I looked up to see the Aussie girl that I had talked with at least ten hours before.

             ¨Vat in Ze hell are you tolkin about?¨ Bottom bunk responded with what I could gather as a German accent. At this point the Aussie girl wasted no more time with talking and escalated the mood of the room by pushing the door, holding back the light from the hallway, all the way open to illuminate everyone’s cheerful faces.

¨Michigan. Michigan are you here?¨ I forced consciousness to take over and responded with what seemed like the most neutral statement I could think of.

¨Hi, what are you doing up so early?¨

¨Come out and drink with us. We are going out to a bar on Rambla.¨ At this point the four Italian guys on the opposite side of the room responded for me with a mixture of broken English, angry Italian and many intense hand motions.

¨You leave! Italian swear word! You make the door shut and leave! Another equally as harsh Italian word! We are sleeping in here!¨ Aussie showed an expression on her face I had yet to see in her drunken stupor, remorse. She turned to the four Italians, straightened out here shoulders and said the only thing she could have said to redeem herself at that moment.

¨In Australian, we say it F*** You.¨ Smiled, turned to the door and walked out.

 

So this is my life now. Early wake ups from foreigners, sixteen person dorm rooms and loving every second of it. I have been put in countless situations that I look back upon now and crack up, thank God I made it through, or stop in awe of. I have been to ten countries met hundreds of people and taken thousands of pictures. Basically I have crammed ten months worth of living into the last two. There are many days that I just want to sit inside plop down in front of the boob tube and watch a movie, and luckily in Ireland and Scotland their were many rainy days to do that, but everyday I plan to take it easy someone I met the night before or that day persuades me to go and visit the City Centre, beautiful beach or have a drink with them at some historic pub.

When people find out I am travelling alone and for a year they ask me if I get lonely. Of course, but 9 out of 10 days I am with a  group of people from all over the world exchanging stories and making memories in some of this worlds most exciting cities. I have no time to be alone. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to have a travel partner again (thanks Mike), but there is something about having the freedom to stay somewhere as long as I want, go eat wherever I want, and basically do whatever I want that it amazing.

      I am missing my family and friends. Especially with this weekends Blueberry fest, Trevors football games coming up, Tonie going to Kalamazoo for college, and Brayden being able to walk, talk, and wink at everyone. I mean really, how easy would it be to pick up a girl with Beemer winking at them across the restaurant for me. But everyday, even the bad ones, I find myself making a connection in my mind that helps me grow and mature in ways that is hard when I am in my regular routine. The lesson I have been taught over and over again is that everywhere I go there are far more good people than bad. I thought this was just an anomaly encountered while I was in Ireland. But time and time again I have been astonished with people going out of their way to direct me in the right direction or get me water or let me stay for two weeks (Thank you Rita and your family, I had the best time with you guys). I cannot wait to see what the rest of the world has to offer over the next ten months. I will try much harder to write more often in the future. I can’t wait to see everyone!

Comments

1

Hey,

Really loved your story, you should write them more often. In France now and will be going away again after. Not sure where because i need money so i need to work again lol. A lot of things in your story sound familiar. Hope you keep having a great time travelling!

  Indra Sep 12, 2010 3:30 AM

About tjbrown


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Portugal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.