Existing Member?

The beauty of Life

Beam of light

IRELAND | Thursday, 28 May 2015 | Views [256] | Scholarship Entry

From the moment I stepped out of the bus I knew my life was going to change, there was no going back.
I flew from Barcelona to London and from London to Ireland I took a ferry, it was not the best decision financially speaking but once I arrived to my destination it paid off.
I had read about the Cliff of Moher multiple times, dreamed about them a dozen more and never had the chance to see them, until that day.
When I set a foot on the ground I felt my heart pumping so hard it felt like a heart attack, the driver was outside the bus door helping people get off, I remember I took his hand and I squeeze it so hard, he tried to get loose a couple of times but gave up when he looked at me, my eyes all watery, my mouth closed pressing my lips like I was holding something inside of me. He got near me and said "Can I have my hand back?" He's Irish accent just shook me and couldn't hold that feeling much longer, I burst into laugh.
Wind was strong and rain started to fall, you might want to avoid visiting the Cliffs in November, stick to everybody's recommendations to go in May or even September. In my case I couldn't help it, it felt like planned by the leprechauns. When I saw myself I was up on those huge rocky walls facing the sea, the wind and rain ruffling my hair.
It got to a point that was hard to walk, just like if the wind was protecting the cliffs from us. 5 miles of nature, green grass all over the place, I felt so tiny and powerless surrounded by that rocky giant.
Clouds were blocking the sun, shadows painting everything gray, but still you could feel this magic energy wrap your body. You could hear everybody's amazed sound as they approached the shore. Couples holding hands, family hugging their kids, it was impossible not to feel grateful and overwhelmed.
Many legends surround the Cliffs, magic foals, lost cities, love, and mermaids forced to live like humans. Legends that were perfectly narrated by a passionate tour guide that bewitched me with his voice. His magic words "time to go back" broke the spell.
I got to the bus door and driver offered me his hand again but his time he said "suavecito"(be gentle in Spanish) my face got all red and we both laughed. I was getting comfortable in my seat when all of the sudden sun got through the clouds and an amazing beam of light crashed into the ocean, bus driver looked at me and he said "that's the beauty of life, you never know what to expect"
Traveling taught me that, never to expect

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About titigrant


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.