Existing Member?

A Man In A Tin Can

My definitive trip to Edinburgh, Scotland

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 21 April 2014 | Views [128] | Scholarship Entry

Friday, 6 AM: We arrive at our hotel, which, much to our joy, was located across the street from a fascinatingly suspicious pub. We check into our respective hotel rooms, and take quick five hour naps. This would be the most sleep we would get all weekend.
Friday, 11 AM: We make our way to Edinburgh Castle (a MUST if ever you find yourself in the area). The views were breathtaking, and the sense of history was indescribable. On the way back into town we see a man standing on the street, clothed as William Wallace, with an arsenal of traditional Scottish medieval weapons behind him. As he was spewing facts about the real William Wallace (disputing the Mel Gibson film), we walked over and asked for a closer look at his weapons. He let us hold each and every one of them. Upon further investigation, and a late lunch with our Mr. Wallace, it turns out this man was actually a history teacher, who volunteered his time to do this, so the everybody could get the real story of William Wallace.
After our encounter we went onto Edinburgh's famous "Whiskey Tour," a tour of Edinburgh's whiskey distillery. It was on this tour that I first got a taste of some of my favorite Scotch Whiskeys, and my love and respect for whiskey spawned.
Sticking with the theme of whiskey, we headed to a whiskey pub that evening. The pub on the water, aptly named "World's End," housed some delicious whiskeys, as well as a man named George, who decided to further educate us on the art of whiskey consumption. After a few glasses of whiskey (and some beers), George invited us to the Scotland vs. Fiji national Rugby match the following day. We graciously accepted his offer. Upon leaving the pub I enquired into purchasing one of their pint glasses, as token of this wonderful night. The barman replied with an, "Of course." And charged one American Dollar, which he had me sign, and proceeded to hang on the wall.
Saturday, 6 AM: We arise in order to meet George and two friends at the train station before the noontime start of the rugby match, under the assumption we would take a train to the stadium. This was actually the start of our two mile long pub crawl to the match, in which we drank beer, made new friends, and painted out faces in the fashion of the Scottish flag.
I should mention, that it was along this pub crawl that I first bonded with a beautiful girl, who I would end up dating for two years. The first love of my life.
There is so much more to tell about this trip, and one day. I will.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About tinpanda


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.