Existing Member?

Whoopee Ti Yi Yo, Woody Guthrie Version

Whoopie Ti Yi Yo, Part II, Carlie Daniels Band Version

USA | Friday, 12 June 2015 | Views [377]

I took this photo from the website: http://www.autolicenseplatesandframes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=8212
I have no affiliation with this site, just liked the photo.

I took this photo from the website: http://www.autolicenseplatesandframes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=8212 I have no affiliation with this site, just liked the photo.

Why did I stay through the horror of the nighttimes in this way-out-west horse-wrangling town?

I was no southern chic.  I was pure alabaster with Yankee blood and city manners; never even rode a horse, didn’t own blue jeans, and preferred my beer dark and heavy.  I was out of context, the wrong verb form of myself.  Yet I stayed a month.  It was the cowboy locals that kept me there, wanting another sunrise.

I had nearly accepted a volunteer position at rainy National Park up in Washington, but I could barely get the bus fare there from my friend's place in Los Angeles.  And I only managed to get to L.A. because I had spent almost all my money on the train there from Miami.  And I had only wound up in Miami because I was required to purchase a return ticket before they would allow me into the Bahamas.  And I only made it through three months in the Bahamas because I was kinda stuck by a karmic duty; the type of sentiment that is really strong when you live in a yoga ashram.  These are the types of serious decisions that vagabonds make, and I was about to choose the dirt path to that haunted hotel.

I pleaded with the hotel to give me a job before the season started, saying I could clean, paint and get ready for the hustle and madness of the summer.  I may not have written I AM BROKE in all capital letters on my application, but that was a part of my motivation.  I also had this deep fondness for New Mexico.  It seemed raw and cleansing; a place of dust and art.  But more than either of these things, what really drew me to the state was its license plate.  I wanted one of those red and yellow suns bolted onto the car that I didn’t own yet.  I liked the idea of having a sunrise attached to me and my travels.  And I desperately wanted to live in the ‘Land of Enchantment’.

I didn’t know the place was haunted when they offered me the job.  I suppose that even if I had known, it wouldn’t have mattered.  There’s a lot of magic that I believe in, but ghosts weren’t any part of it; especially of the angry sort.  I imagined it would be a minor curiosity, like the ‘smallest pony in the world!’ at the state fair; somewhat intriguing, but a waste of a quarter.

I was wrong.  I literally slept with the blankets over my head and a large jar in my room.  Actually, I don't remember my feet hitting much of the carpetting between the door and the bed.  Usually, I would lock the door and simply leap onto the mattress; as if the longer I stayed standing the more vulnerable I would be.

But each night I would sit along the beer sipping horsemen and sing another slow, banjo-y song with them.   And from under the blankets, I would hum those western lullabies until the creeps that wandered up my spine became less intense.  I never got the license plate that I wanted, but those cowboy regulars, with their big sweaty hats, made me feel like there would always be a sunrise attached to me and my travels, even if angry ghosts were right next door.

 

About tinamurty

I WILL get a tamarind coconut ice cone, Samm!  And it WILL be delicious.  Stop trying to sway me from it.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.