Existing Member?

Dream Travel

Ranching to Surf

UNITED STATES OUTLYING ISLANDS | Monday, 12 May 2014 | Views [167] | Scholarship Entry

I'll never forget the day that I left my ranch home, for the tropical winds of Hawaii. The feeling of being slapped in the face with a salty flower-smelling mop had left me speechless. This was to be my new home for the next 4 months. After I gathered my bags, I wandered outside the airport terminal to seek the person taking me to my apartment. A person I had never met before or even spoke to on the phone, and yet I had full confidence that he would be there. He proved himself to be a friend, helping me with my bags and driving me to Waikiki, the location of my apartment. As we pulled up to the building, my excitement bubbled up and over flowed. When I walked into the apartment I was met by my new landlord, a small Japanese girl who had a smile that lit up the room. She got me settled and introduced me to my roommates. Three other girls who didn't speak a word of English, but were ecstatic to meet me. I smiled and sunk down on my bed after they had all left. My body telling me to rest, but my brain telling me to go explore. I grabbed my bag and ran out the door. The greatest thing about my apartment was that is was four blocks from world known Waikiki beach. I started my adventure by walking up and down every street that a saw. Nearly everyone I walked past smiled and nodded their head at me. On one street there was a small art gallery that featured the famous Peter Lik and all of his amazing photos. That became a place I stopped everyday to enjoy the exquisite beauty of his pictures. As I continued on that road for a little ways I found a small park. It was riddled with palm trees and gorgeous flowers, but in the short distance I saw the gorgeous blue water of the ocean. I made my way to the beach and stopped in wonder as I took the view in. The water stretched farther than the eye could see. The wonderful buzz of laughter and salty breeze made it seem like a wonderful dream. I walked out to the edge of the concrete walk-way and sat down. The water was different from the ocean on the west coast of the United States, it was warm and soothing. I looked down to see three angel fish swimming peacefully around my feet. As the sun turned the sky a beautiful orange and sank into the water, I realized I was in one of the most beautiful places on earth and it had just become my new home.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About tinabell


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United States Outlying Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.