Existing Member?

Journey without limit

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [172] | Scholarship Entry

I went to Philippines on 2008 with my friend Yesaya.My Filipino friends are a couple. They were not back to Philippines around 3 years.They worked in Thailand before in Indonesia. So they invited us to go to their home in Bulacan.

The flight from Changi Airport (Singapore) to Clark Airport (Philippines).It took around 3.5 hours trip.It was quite tiring.from the airport,still need few hours to Bulacan.

We welcomed with hot and delicious dinner with their son and daughters.
We served with Sinigang na Baboy (it is soup with stew fish,pork,and shrimp,the sour tasted from tamarind and tomatoes,added stew vegetables such as water spinach,string bean,radish,and taro.) Pinakbet (it is almost same like Sinagang,only the pork need to fried first,saute garlic,onion,after that add tomatoes,and stir all together,season with shrimp paste and add ½ cup water) and Litson Baboy ( roasted pork).It was masarap (delicious).

I tasted some Philippines foods before in Indonesia,but that time I tasted different because they used the original Philippines ingredients.I really like Philippines foods,the tastes almost same like my country foods especially my city.Salty or sour except spicy,they do not like spicy foods.My friends’ children prepared green chillies for me because they knew I like to eat chilli.

Every morning their prepare Pan de sal,oval brown breads.I ate the breads with chocolate milk or coffee.
Yesaya tried eat Balut.Balut is a famous Philippines street snack.It is a boiled egg but inside is a duck embryo.I could see head, eyes, bill, little wings.It was scary for me. Yesaya was brave to eat Balut.

One day before I went back to Singapore,we stayed one night in Baguio City.The weather so cold event though I came on June.I could not pick the strawberry because not yet grow,but it blossom time for the beautiful flowers.

The final day was coming I had to return to Batam,Indonesia through Singapore.
Magandang bye,Good bye.
Makita kayong muli Philippines,See you again.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About timetravel


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.