Existing Member?

What to do on a nice summer day?

Summer in Seattle

USA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [136] | Scholarship Entry

I still remember the first time walking down the street in downtown Seattle by myself. I was an international student at a college there. It was a real adventure for a teenage girl like me to live far away from home in a foreign city. I started college quite early as I moved to study abroad in Seattle so it was basically the first time I explored a city by myself.
As far as I can remember, my first impression of Seattle is the air. It had quite fresh air that brought the scent of the Pacific Ocean into the heart of the city. I could smell the sea from every single breeze. As the largest metropolitan in the Pacific Northwest of North America, it was amazing that such a city with a huge population could have that atmosphere. It gave me a sense of being laid back as I walked along the port even though it was crowded around me. People walking in fast pace and talking on their phones, a picture easily seen in a large and busy city. However, they still enjoyed the nice summer day with light breezes from the coast when it was not raining cats and dogs. Large ships were entering to deliver seafood, a specialty of Seattle that you cannot miss when travelling there. All this gave me a feeling of a busy urban life incorporated with a relaxed and peaceful sense of a coastal area.
Walking around the downtown on weekends, all the stores were full of people crazily spending money for summer sales. Restaurants and cafes in this area never had an empty space. Artists played their music on the streets gave me a feeling of a summer festival. Some people stopped to watch and record them so they could share with their families and friends later. There were also a lot of tourists from other countries walking around with cameras and excitement to explore this beautiful city. Small kiosks in the corner of the streets offered them little souvenirs and paintings of Seattle.
I also had a chance to visit the Chinatown of Seattle on that day. It was quieter compared to the downtown but a lot of well-known restaurants gathered around this area. In Chinatown, or some people prefer to call it International District, visitors can try find authentic restaurants and ethnic foods from different cultures all over the world. I remember I took a very nice photo at the historic Chinatown gate which dated back to the nineteen century. Seattle is truly a city of paradoxical elements but at the same time, these elements are incorporated together which give you mixed feelings you can never forget.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About timetotravel


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.