Existing Member?

Place of sand

Rome of the East

UZBEKISTAN | Thursday, 8 May 2014 | Views [146] | Scholarship Entry

Samarkand is a city of legends. Indeed, every hill, every gully, and ponds are witnessed of past life. Every ancient monument is testimony to events - either actual or imaginary. Every old tree is associated with some kind of parabel , every city block preserves its own legend as its geneaology.These legends are attached to places of historical events still memorable to people of Samarkand. The cultural heritage of the people, the historical monuments are not only matter of the past - the live in the present day. Visitors to our city admire the high artistic talent and skill of the ancient architects who have created such amazing structures as the Shakhi-Zinda ensemble , the Bibi-Khanum mosque, the Gur - Emir mausoleum, the Ulugbek, Sherdor and Tillya-Kari madrasahs in Registan square.
The Registan square which means " place of sand " is the heart of my ancient city Samarkand. When first time I came in the middle of 3 magnificent structures time turned back to the time when Marakanda ( Samarkand ) was part of magnificent silk roud.
The earliest metion of Marakanda was made in the year 329 A.D, in manuscripts describing the conquests of Alexander the Great. Samarkand stood on cross - roads of caravan routes and played an important role, it was a centre of ancient civilization and the seat of historical and cultural traditions of the peoples of Central Asia.
Samarkand stand in line with architectural monuments of Egypt, India, China , ancient Rome and Greece , belongs to the present and future generations of mankind. And for the first time when I opened my eyes, I felt with my heart and soul that I am born in a magnificent city.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About timeframe


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Uzbekistan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.