Existing Member?

Love, Trust, and a little bit of Wanderlust If we don't try we will never know, in the end we only regret the chances we didn't take.

River boats, Buddha's and all nighters

THAILAND | Tuesday, 14 February 2017 | Views [479]

Street life. 
Bangkok, Thailand.

Street life. Bangkok, Thailand.

The past few days have been a bit of a blur. We have been hit hard by jet lag, and the window issue isn't helping!
Day 2 we slept a lot of it away. When we did finally rise we decided to head out and found a river boat out to the Asiatique River front market. What a beautiful place! Some lovely little boutique restaurants and bars but mixed in are the vendors and little independent eateries. We found a very popular Thai 'street' stall and the food was simply beautiful. We walked and walked round the market. A lot of the stalls were much of a muchness but pretty to look at. The river front itself and the view across the water was amazing. We only spent on food and drink but we spent hours there.
The free river boat is fantastic but be prepared to wait. The lines were long but it's so easy. (There was an option to pay for a crossing but we weren't sure if it was a separate boat or you were just paying for queue jump)

That night we got zero sleep. Jet lag had well and truly defeated us, no question! Without a wink of sleep and no sign of any to come we got dressed and headed out to Wat Pho, temple of the reclining Buddha.
The taxi there was interesting, being kicked out by our first taxi driver for no apparent reason. But we made it there and paid the 100baht per person fee to enter.
The place was incredible. The architecture of each structure, the detail and colour, it is a true wonder to see. We spent hours wandering and taking pictures.
Shoes have to be removed to enter most buildings or temple rooms, and the more 'popular' rooms such as the reclining Buddha, you are provided with tops, trousers or robes to cover up in if your clothing isn't deemed suitable. Some people took these off inside for photographs.... just remember to be respectful.

Once we left Wat Pho we headed towards the Grand Palace, through the Police check point where you have to provide ID and comply with a search before entering the road. We walked the whole length of the grand palace, the place is massive!

We walked from there to the famous backpackers area of Koh San Road. The place looked as I imagined, chaos, bar and hostel signs piled on top of each other with street vendors in front of every building, selling everything from clothes to magnets to scorpions on sticks. We ate in one of the bars, mistaking one of the meals for chicken tenders..... turned out they were chicken tendons.... impossible to chew through, I've no idea who would eat these things!!

Tags: bangkok, koh san road, reclining buddha, sightseeing, streetfood, walking, wat pho

About tigerlillytravels


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.